Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by StephenX, Oct 10, 2010.

1. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2004
    Melvis, TN.
    Not the best quality

but played on a tele.

2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Excellent Dave Mason vid Big Jimmy and you are right. He deserves more attention. Dave's solo was very tasty.

Since we're doing white boy blues now, here's another white boy who can still bring it.

Robert Johnson and Chuck Berry? You gotta love that

3. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise

Dave Mason's Alone Together is one of my favorite albums to this day, big jimmy

4. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2004
    Melvis, TN.
    Mr. Stills has always been one of my favorites, I just dug out Daylight Again after a few years. Does anybody make songs like those anymore.
    Mud, you sure do have a wide variety of u-tubes vids. All quality and lesser known stuff. Keep them rolling. I would quit my day job if I could play like John.

5. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    +1

6. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    I've own what is, far as I know, these fellows only album, and it is really good

Similarly, this is the only album, far as I know, this man made. Nobody's even sure if Dan Pickett was his real name. At any rate, this is a fabulous album

Thanks big jimmy and elihu...we share a love for blues for sure.

7. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Mudshark, I loved Dan Pickett-best thing I've heard today.

I saw this vid and thought you'd like it too. And whatever happened to these guys anyway?

8. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    It is strange that Wet Willie sort of disappeared...they were a heckuva good band.

9. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Keith's acoustic blues...

10. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    Sammy Price

Wee Bea Booze (Sammy Price, piano)

11. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for Sammy Price Mud, I didn't know about him but I needed too (with him being a Texan and all). I started reading up on him and found that one of the many people he played with was Rosetta Tharpe.

"Tharpe continued recording during World War II, one of only two gospel artists able to record V-discs for troops overseas. Her song "Strange Things Happening Every Day", hi recorded in 1944 with Sammy Price, Decca's house boogie woogie pianist, showcased her virtuosity as a guitarist and her witty lyrics and delivery. It was also the first gospel song to make Billboard's "race records" Top Ten—something that Sister Rosetta Tharpe accomplished several more times in her career."

Sorry about the hum, the only other one posted was worse.

Some more music by Sister Rosetta...

12. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise

Sister Rosetta is really nice stuff.

13. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Mud, have you heard Johnny Cash's version (with Rick Rubin) of Ain't No Grave...? Serious stuff.

I don't think Janis has been posted yet.

14. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Bump for U.P. Wilson.

I got to play behind this guy a couple of times in Fort Worth and he had quite a shtick. He'd unhook his strap while playing and set the butt end of his guitar on a patron's table. While continuing to solo (hammer-on's with his left hand) he'd carefully get out a cigarette and light it with his right. Then he'd use the ashtray and ask for a drink. Entertaining fellow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.