Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by StephenX, Oct 10, 2010.

1. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Here is a short clip I took yesterday of Lil Ed.

2. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    I guess everyone is practicing the "Thumper Rule"

Maybe you like this one?

3. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Nothing wrong with those two! I like 'em:D:D

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Lil Ed must get his exquisite sense of fashion headgear from his uncle J.B. Hutto.

This one rocks...

5. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Oooooh, those were good! Yes he talked about JB in a barely concealed reverence.

Who knows (we make another run for it here as I am more passionate about Blues than I am Trad Country:twisted:)
    I was trying to find "Story of My Life" on youtube and couldn't. I'll make one. First heard that by Canned Heat with the Sunflower on sizzling guitar; and then 20 years later I heard the original and it was bliss.
    Meanwhile....back in the jungle:)

And someone else who I always thought of Muddy's sideman until I heard his music after he left the greatest blues band that ever lived.

6. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    Howsabouta bit of Lowell Fulsom?

Always loved that Guitar Slim tune.

7. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Little Johnny Taylor

Born Johnny Lamont Merrett in Gregory, Arkansas,[1] he is frequently confused with his contemporary and near namesake Johnnie Taylor, especially since the latter made a cover version of the song that Little Johnny Taylor was most famous for, "Part Time Love" (1963), and the fact that both men began their careers as gospel singers.

Little Johnny Taylor moved to Los Angeles in 1950, and sang with the Mighty Clouds of Joy before moving into secular music. Influenced by Little Willie John, he first recorded as an R&B artist for the Swingin' record label.

However, he did not achieve major success until signing for San Francisco-based Fantasy Records' subsidiary label, Galaxy. His first hit was the mid-tempo blues "You'll Need Another Favor," sung in the style of Bobby Bland, with arrangement by Ray Shanklin and [[record producer|produced by Cliff Goldsmith. The follow-up, "Part Time Love", became his biggest hit, reaching #1 in the U.S. Billboard R&B chart, and # 19 on the pop chart, in October 1963.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010

8. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Those look good, I'll get to them at sunrise:lol: Otis Rush is among my top 5 blues guitarists. He seems like an anachronism because he still plays and sounds like he did years ago; most people sound decidedly different when doing hits from their past.

9. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Bobby "Blue" Bland

Now here's an introduction...:cool:

10. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Little Johnny was cookin! BB Bland was nice too; his blues is a different kinda blue, don't you think?

Here is a guy that I will post a lot more of, if this thread maintains some level of interest: The One Man Band:

JoeHillLewis.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010

11. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Mudshark, I really liked that Lowell song, I haven't heard very much of his music; send along some more.

By request:

12. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for that StephenX. And how 'bout some more slide guitar playing? I think this is a fine cut.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010

13. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Sonny Boy Williamson

This guy walking to the porch is more entertaining than many people on stage.

14. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    Doug Sahm

Lowell Fulson

The Hoodoo Kings

15. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Knockin My Socks Off; you guys know the real thing!

Since I was 17, this cut from Mick Taylor has stayed high on the charts for me.

16. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise

Great Mayall tune; I've always been a big fan of John Mayall and his many lineups.

17. drewsblues

drewsblues Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2008
    Southern California
    James Harman and Hollywood Fats

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Earl Hooker

I really like the standard tuning slide of Earl Hooker, this may be the only valid use of a wahwah pedal in blues...

Unfortunately there are 2 songs in this clip and it loads slow so you may have to start it and hit stop and come back in a minute.

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Magic Sam playing Earl Hooker's guitar... What's up with that?

I been working on the break in the Magic Sam Boogie, I got some of it down but that certain stacatto phrasing escapes me. It is a boogie in A.

20. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Oct 13, 2009
    San Marcos, Ca
    What the heck was that guitar to the left of him with the crazy angle on the neck pup? Then there was the guy sitting next to him with what looked like a double neck Danelectro...WOW!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.