Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues rock idea

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by MDent77, Sep 15, 2017.

1. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I've been listening to a lot of Steely Dan records since Walter Becker passed and just got this idea today for a blues song in B minor. I always loved the way the guitar and bass were parallel during parts of the Dan song Night by Night - so I started vamping on an original simple swing type feel. I'm just not sure if the chromatic walk up on the bass is cool or distracting? Add a rough solo idea.

It's rough since I just started writing the basic verse part today but wanted to solicit any thoughts before I get attached to it and write the next section. :)

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I like it. I'd say try it with a little more "digging the crusty bits from the bottom of the pan" attitude. Walter Becker was great at that.

Jakeboy and MDent77 like this.

3. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Thanks. It certainly does lack any soul...I figure once I get the vamp and notes perfected I can go beyond that and dig in a bit. I just hate writing an idea and then come back later and find it's too notey sounding to make musical sense.

4. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Keep pushing....plenty of good ideas in there worth developing IMO.

MDent77 likes this.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I think you are on to a good one. The solo needs more character, but first shot at it is very nice indeed.

MDent77 likes this.

6. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    I think the bass is cool and definitely not distracting. That solo and the tone is smoking mike!

MDent77 likes this.

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I like the chromatic bass, any more would probably be too much. The solo gets really good at 00:59 to the end. I await the next section.

MDent77 likes this.

8. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    The bass is definetely cool, but I think I wouldn´t double it with the guitar; that sounded "too much" to my ears.

MDent77 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.