Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues Junior with Blasted Blankety Blank Booming Bass:(

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by strat54, Nov 10, 2017.

1. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Help! I can't stand it anymore! I have the bass turned all the way down and still can't play anything that sounds decent thru a brand new Blues Junior. I can't return 'cause I am past the 30 day return period. Any suggestions other than trashing would be greatly appreciated. Even my Roland Micro Cube sounds way better:mad: I have run a handful of guitars through it and nothing sounds acceptable.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    tilt it

by decoupling the front side from the ground; a lot of unwanted bass frequencies go a way

suave eddie, Jakedog, PhredE and 3 others like this.

3. Alistair72

Alistair72 TDPRI Member

Oct 24, 2017
    UK
    And don’t back it up to a wall. Give it a bit of air round the back too.

4. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Should corners be mentioned as well?

5. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I will give it a tilt:)

6. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    I will play it outside tomorrow to really give it some air. Thanks for the help:)

7. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Well, yes it is sitting in the corner of the room so I had 3 strikes against me....*No tilt, *Up against the wall and *In the corner of the room. Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully, playing it outside will really show me what the amp was meant to do.:)

PhredE and JustABluesGuy like this.

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Where are you turning your controls? Not diming your treble?

9. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA

10. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I would be interested in how it sounds. The room, and where the amp is placed in it, will always have an effect on how your amp sounds.

There are countless stories of people who played an amp in the store (in the middle of a large room, maybe on a riser), but when they take it home and place in on the floor and shove it into the corner, they find it sounds a lot different (usually worse) than it did in the store!

PhredE likes this.

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    What tubes are in it? I find JJ's to be boomy and muddy, generally.

PhredE likes this.

12. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    There is always the option to swap the speaker out too. I've never been a fan of the OEM Eminence "Fender" stock speakers in most of Fender's amps. They just aren't as good as the branded Eminence (or WGS, or Jensen, or JBL, or EV, etc) speakers are.

Unfortunately, it's an area most amp manufacturers choose to skimp on when they probably should not.

A great speaker can make even a mediocre amp sound pretty good.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Not a good cab for DR type lows IMO.

You can move it in and out of a corner or flat wall to tune the low end response to a degree. Sitting on well padded plush carpet VS a hardwood floor will be a huge response variance.

Maybe time for a nice DR size pine extension cab with a legend or similar.

PhredE likes this.

14. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia

15. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Hey guys, Airing the tilted amp out in a big room 24' x 50' with a cathedral ceiling made all the difference in the world with the bass. I was keeping it in the bedroom but that room is just too small for the Blues Junior. Thanks for the help folks. I will definitely be back at this site again BEFORE I buy another amp. I'm not playing bars or arenas so this is probably just too much amp for the majority of my playing. I guess their is a reason I carry two Roland MicroCubes in a gym bag. Most of the time I am playing to an audience of none.:D Thanks again, Tom

16. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    I have not checked the tubes but this is the black cab BJ so I assume the tubes and speaker could be upgraded. What tubes do you suggest I install? Thanks, Tom

17. strat54

strat54 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Hey their, Thanks for this info and article. I will definitely do this to the Blues Junior. Thanks, again:)

18. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Definitely read through the entire billm site to understand your BJ. Many folks look at speaker changes for this amp, but the majority of tone issues are solved with warranty-voiding circuit mods.

19. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    No worries, it helps a ton with the muddiness. I did it and then did all the Fromel mods (Billm Audio did not respond to repeated requests for purchase). Made a big difference, it's a great little amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.