Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Blues Junior keeps blowing F1 Fuse

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DougF, Oct 18, 2009.

1. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

When I turn my Blues Junior on it hums for about two seconds than blows the F1 fuse. Any suggestions as to where to start with troubleshooting? It does have the BillM presence control and a Celestion 30, but is otherwise stock. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

Power tubes would be my first try. Install a new set and hit the on switch and see what happens.

3. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

If not a power tube, probably a Rectifier... If none of those, you'd probably need to take it to an amp tech.

I kept blowing fuses in my Dr Z when my Rectifier tube was going out.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Billm

Billm Friend of Leo's

The rectifier is solid state. I have yet to see a Blues Junior blow a diode, but anything is possible. I'd suspect output tubes, too. It's fairly common for EL84 screen grids to fail and short out to some other part of the tube.

There have also been problems with leaky filter caps. One could short out internally, which would blow the fuse right quick:

[​IMG]

More info about this on my site:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=267

6. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Bill, you nailed it on the head. I noticed one of my Mullards had a black spot on the glass and when I swapped it out the amp worked fine. Does it hurt to have two different makes of output tubes? I noticed the other Mullard has a blue ring on the top its grid while the new Electro Harmonics looks fine.

7. Billm

Billm Friend of Leo's

Your output tubes should be a matched pair for best performance. When the tubes have different current draw and thus run at different levels of amplification, their ability to cancel out common mode hum is diminished. They also produce more harmonic distortion.

Fender recommends that the output tubes be within 20 percent of one another.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.