Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Blues Deluxe Does Not Break Over

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Owensv, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Owensv

Owensv TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2012
    Canton, OH
    For all you Blues Deluxe owners- have any of you had problems getting the amp to go into overdrive? Mine refuses. I mean I've hit it wide open on the pickups (tele vintage pups wired in series), on the drive channel, with drive on 12 and the master up so loud it hurt... lots of unmusical noise ensued, but no growl or grit. I've seen YouTube videos where this amp distorts so nicely, but mine won't. My tubes are all new. Any helpful suggestions from experience are much appreciated.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It sounds like the output tubes are biased cold, or are weak, or the phase inverter is weak, or a preamp tubes, or a coupling cap is the problem, or a bypass cap, orit's a speaker problem...no way to tell without checking it out. I recommend taking it to a tech.

Wally likes this.

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I mean, yeah, go get it checked out....but if the way it's running now isn't potentially damaging to the amp, then you might have an insane clean headroom amp there.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    A Blues Deluxe that doesn't have component problems isn't inherently "cleaner" than another. It's a matter of tubes, bias, and possibly other components. Unless something is actually wrong and needs to be repaired/replaced they all can be adjusted for less headroom.

6. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    My guess is the high volume clean is due to the new, "hard", heavy duty output tubes. Original amp design aimed for high fidelity with minimal distortion. Hot bias + "soft" cheap tubes will make it break up at volume.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I dont buy it... Turning up the 'Drive' doesn't push the output tubes into OD. It pushes the preamp stages, which should be distorting. The power tube bias shouldn't really have any effect on 'drive' controls since they typically control preamp gain. The 'Drive' channel gets its distortion from the preamp primarily. Output tube bias would explain, possibly, why it's staying clean when you crank the master volume, which is generally what will push the output section into overdrive.

If the 'Drive' channel is not breaking up, something in the preamp is likely malfunctioning. What are your tonestack settings?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Wally likes this.

8. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Tech time. With a multichannel amp like that, you need experience checking relay positions, tracing signal, and a signal generator + scope are a must to see what the issue is.

In the meantime, you could swap in a set of spare tubes and see if it comes back to life. You'll need them eventually, anyway. It's just good practice for owners of tube amps to have replacements, since they seem to go south at the most inconvenient time possible.

9. Owensv

Owensv TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2012
    Canton, OH
    JD0x0 - That squares with all my tests. I'm getting the preamp tubes checked out later today. The tone stack is stock, 25k, 1M, and 25k as I recall, for treble, bass, mid. I painstakingly verified proper relay function, so I know the circuits are switching properly. I just wondered if anybody else out there has had a similar problem, of if I just happened to get the one lucky amp. Thanks

10. hs0504

hs0504 TDPRI Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Holland
    I have the some 'problem'. But I have a 12AY7 tube in V1. Maybe that's why I don't get distortion in channel 2.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.