Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues Cube vs. Boss Katana

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by PDman5150, Jan 31, 2017.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Y'all are not giving the Kat enough time to break in. It's not a simple plug and play device.....will try to upload a vid soon.....also need to start with all knobs at zero and turn up to suit your tastes.

noizyb65, Bobbyoso and Durberville like this.

2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    That said, have not heard the Orange, post a clip?

3. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    For me the comparison its not right.

Blues Cube compares with low cost valve amp (Blackstar HTR5, Fender Bassbreaker, Ibanez TSH 15 , VOX AV30 analog + valves, Quilter Heads, maybe a egnater tweaker...etc).

Katana is on another league. With Mustangs, Valvetronix and those things.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I finally tried a Katana.
    It sounds great, but it did not surpass my Cube 8XL.
    No tuner, no looper.
    The Cube wins.

GrantR and Durberville like this.

5. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    ouch!

6. hs0504

hs0504 TDPRI Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Holland
    +1
    Sold mine also after a week. Same reason.
    Also like my GX80 better, especially for clean tones.

GrantR likes this.

7. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm surprised to hear about the clean the clean equalized and the reverb and modulation is very good imo. The boost is OK to color the tone just past on it gets worse not better imo. That said I have a Boss processor and G3 which can't get a parallel solid clean.

I don't know subjective I really like the clean on the amp. The speakers sound like hell till they break in also.

The Blues Cube I like too but like the clean better on the Katana imho. I liked the rest of the Blues Cube better.

8. noizyb65

noizyb65 TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Virginia
    I've had a Katana 100 since November and was very impressed. I wanted a solid state amp that took pedals well, and had a warm blues tone. The Katana can go in a lot of different directions, especially when employed with the software (both BOSS and 2nd party). I delved in pretty deep in time and experimentation and was able to get the sound I wanted and was very happy with it, but not being a hi-gain player, I felt I had way more than I needed to get where I wanted to be.

That's when I tried a Blues Cube Hot. I look it as a concentration of the sound/area that I incorporated on the Katana taken up several notches. Less digital, way nicer cabinet, and a much richer and expressive tone. The spares amount of efx I utilize I have with pedals, so the lack of efx, and programming, and the attention to hi-gain (brown) on the Katana, is not missed at all.

Having spent a considerable amount of time on a Blues Jr., I consider the Blues Cube Hot a very well done solid state version.

GrantR likes this.

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I picked up a Katana 50, to practice at home, without power cycling my tube amps. I never hooked it up to my computer, I just turned a few knobs and got some sounds that I liked. So far, I'm pretty impressed. My good amp is a Vox TB18C1, with 6V6's and an Eminence speaker. The amp that I use the most, is a 9 year old SCXD, that I use with a Zoom MFX pedal, because the effects sound much better than the SCXD effects. I am using the on-board effects, on the KTN50, and they aren't bad. The Zoom pedal sounds better and is much easier than downloading sounds with a PC.

If a current tube amp goes bad, I would probably go with another Boss Katana or a Blues Cube Hot 30. At this point, I'm not sure which one would be my choice.

[​IMG]

10. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    100% agree. i have played several "cheap alternative amps" just to have personnality and dont follow the standards (Deluxe Reverb). Nothing worked, spend a lot of time looking and searching. I should use that time for improve my technique.

Digi amps works because everyone who buy one of them thinks or is confident that he will find the cheap valve sound. So the brands sell that dream with the soft and all the FX things onboard. Then you waste a lot of days trying to be Einstein... nothing works. A Buick cant be a Mustang.

For me, just toys.

Roland Blues Cube is a decent and nice alternative for valves... but in 2 months you will desire a valve tone. Dont waste time buying and selling.

Save and Go valve. 1W, 5W...whatever... GO valve.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

11. noizyb65

noizyb65 TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Virginia
    Like most things, very subjective. Many players are so "tuned" to tubes that they seldom really look it objectively beyond their own experience, (which granted, is all that matters).

The argument of which sounds "better" is kind of pointless. I think for me it's about a pleasing organic tone that is affordable and low maintenance. Also the fact I can achieve tonal qualities at lower volumes that aren't attainable with valves at that level. A Blues Jr. or equivalent would never be able to perform as well in the context that I need from an amp. The BC Hot does this, and I think for many, it provides a practical alternative that doesn't leave you pining for the valve alternative.

For the record, I've owned plenty of both, tube amps and more recent digital amps, etc...whatever Roland/Boss is doing, it's achieved something I've sought for a while. Just my 2cents.

GrantR and KnopflerStyle like this.

12. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    After months of gigging with the Katana 100 212 (and the 50 for smaller gigs and rehearsals)..I just can't fault them and I've been using valve amps for 40 years. The whole point of the experiment for me in getting the 212 was to have a lighter version of my Twin Reverb to carry around, not so much having lots of effects on board etc. The Kat 100 is doing the job beautifully, and I just plug it in and use it as a straight amp from its control panel, no channels, no presets, with my pedals (boost/OD/delay).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.