Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues cube hot , hard rock

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hollywoodroxxx, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Hollywoodroxxx

Hollywoodroxxx TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Torquay England
    Anyone here play rock similar to , guns n roses , ac/dc , led zep, Aerosmith on their Blues Cube Hot??? After seeing Brett Kingsman’s videos on YouTube ,it sounds great. I am seeking a solid state amp for Jamming or small gigs that weighs less than 30lb that can be grab and go for bus or taxi. I play epiphone les Paul guitars one with slash signature humbuckers and one with pro buckers. I initially looked at katanas but i Prefer something more simple. I like pedals like fulltone ocd clones Etc . The only other I have seen that fits the size weight demands etc that I like is the award session blues baby 22 or 45. I can also mic up with sm57 or similar . what do you think ?... mostly small pubs here. i have a 2x 12 80 watt marshall valvestate if i need very big noise . thank you for any input. best wishes ....paul. bretts video really sold me on it when he played back in black and thin lizzy

Here are 2 great videos

TeleTex82 likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Lookup the lightweight gigging amp thread. Loads of sub-30lb options in that thread. There are actually quite a few out there these days.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  3. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    The Boss Drive Special version of the Blues Cube is supposed to be Marshally flavored.

4. Hollywoodroxxx

Sep 24, 2017
    Torquay England
    Thanks guys , I’ve been reading some threads on here a lot of which featured jakedog, the blue tele in his pic stands out , the boss drive looks ace but can’t seem to get it here in England . My top four seem to have been blues cube hot , session blues baby, orange cr35t and Katana 50, Katana 50 seems ideal but don’t like relying on digital instead of analogue, few guys on group had them pack up mid gig or during updates, plus I don’t relish all this, when this light blinks , hold this button etc stuff. Will check out lightweight thread. Thanks again , any further input welcome

Jakedog likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Just wanted to say that there is no need to use the Katana's computer stuff at all. It works just like a normal amp. If you like it without ever hooking it up the computer, and you don't want to hook it up, you don't have to. Also, the 100 sounds a lot better.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Hollywoodroxxx

Sep 24, 2017
    Torquay England
    I’m really liking the orange crush 35rt now as well and jakedog seems to have liked his.
    Yes the Katana editing is not too much of a problem and I know it works great from just using the dials, I am tempted but I do prefer analogue type stuff.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Orange will defiantly do hard rock. No pedals required, just a footswitch.

The standard BCH can do it with the right pedals. The on board drive and boost will get you close but not quite into slash territory.

I haven’t played the Boss Drive version of the BCH but it’s intended for exactly what you want.

Good luck

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Hollywoodroxxx

Sep 24, 2017
    Torquay England
    The 35rt is looking like the magical one , small gigs and jams or even larger if I take my mic stand and sm57 type mic. The tone sounds great on demos. Gonna check out some more jakedog crush 35 posts . Thanks guys

Jakedog likes this.
  9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I have a slightly different take:

I have the Roland Blues Cube Hot (Fender Bassman Tweed flavor) AND the Orange 35RT! Two very different sounds, but both capable of very musical clean AND driven tones on their own.

You COULD survive a gig with just your axe and either amp, but it's not the ideal scenario in either case.

With the Orange 35RT, you can channel-switch from Clean to Dirty, but the EQ is shared.

With the BCH, there's only one channel, so you'd have to set the the amp to the edge of clean and use your Tele's volume knob as a "channel switcher".

The IDEAL solution, in both cases, is a small pedalboard out front.

For me, a man of simple pleasures, the VALETON DAPPER MINI is perfect: tiny footprint, delay-chorus-drive-distortion-tuner,
    sounds great and < $90!

Hope this helps, Hollywoodroxxx!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    Both sound beautiful in their own special way

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.