Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues and struggle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Wisconsin
    This thread has evolved into a weird circle jerk.

2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I feel like if I was a person of color and society told me "this was my music" and then I saw who was playing blues and what it was being used for now, I'd be more than a little uncomfortable with ever wanting anything to do with it.

As for "struggle".....it's part of any art that is about struggle.......but the blues is about the black man's struggle for freedom in America. We must not forget this. It's not just "struggle music" for people with a bone to pick or something.

I believe that by taking that music and using it to "relieve ourselves", we are doing something wrong with the remains of a history we would do best to remain intimate with.

edit: I think I'll add that as capitalists, we are afraid of anything we aren't allowed to own by simply buying it. A lot of us don't grok that this music is sacred ground created by the evil of our ancestors.

What if your dad was a garbage man that died of cancer and was never allowed to be anyone because he was different and he wrote some really heavy songs detailing this hardship? Maybe he recorded em. Maybe he poured his desire to make life better for you and Ma into them.

Now imagine everyone in America with a nice job and a local open mic showing off how cultural and talented they are playing my dad's songs like it's their God given right and my family is still poor and treated bad because we are different.

That's sort "history of blues for morons"

We don't own the blues just because we owned the people who invented it at one point in time. We are way wrong on that.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    blowtorch likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Many threads here do.
    Then Mom comes in and breaks it up.

Flat6Driver likes this.

4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Although the appropriation of a particular culture's ecological snapshot by the very culture that sought to undermine it is distasteful, commercial exploitation requires symbiosis.

Regional propriety and source-one authenticity gets the last guffaw, however, when the weighted trappings of a hard-won history overtake the fatted host culture.

This is almost completely lost on the host culture, merrily bellied-up in a proverbial pop-a-top, commiserating in all earnestness over somber superstition and unavoidable demise.

"I am warning you, brother, you better watch your happy home."

blowtorch, ndcaster and Obsessed like this.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

Are you related to Captain Beefheart?

Badger06 likes this.

6. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I identify with the failed-visual-artist-as-rock-and-roller archetype, at least in the sense that there is a first-worlding-paradigm that superficially betrays a more subconscious disconnect from west-coast pioneer-ism, as a child I was charmed by the flickering fire of down-trodden expression, perhaps only effectively marketed to by conglomerates as the King Of The Delta Blues LP spun through whispering mysteries and seeming truths I didn't deserve or require.

brookdalebill likes this.

7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

yo Wo'f

brookdalebill likes this.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup. Amen brother. What goes around, comes around.

1955 likes this.

9. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not, and I won't .........

10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta

I don't play politically correct music, I just play music. My parents came from Europe, we never owned slaves, I have no guilt. I don't think we can tell people what kind of music they can play and I don't think black people should only be able to play black music.

I find cultural appropriation a repugnant notion, a way to politicize and demonize sharing across cultures. We are where we are, with the technology and achievements of the past that were made across races and religions, because no one owns an idea and in improving on an idea, progress is made.

Should we not use electricity because a/c power generation and transmission was invented by Tesla, a serbian? is it cultural appropriation to use a french phrase such as cie la vie?

Its pure madness, we are all humans, capable of the width, breadth and scope of behaviours good and bad, to demand we isolate our lifes, our brains, our cultures into racially approved restrictions is nothing less than sheer madness.

The blues knows no color. The greeks invented the major scale, does that mean only greeks can use it? Maybe you've been brainwashed too.....

11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Boy you sure do sound like you feel pretty entitled to sharing all that music with all those other cultures that you clearly respect.

You just enjoy sharing.

I guess I never really saw it that way.

o_O

I certainly do believe there is a respectful way to approach other people and other cultures and their art forms and in America we certainly are not masters of that particular method.

The bitter irony in the blues music example of American history is too much to ignore. They were enslaved they were told their music was the devil's music and not worth its weight in salt and then their music was taken from them repackaged and sold for lots of money performed by whites. That actually happened. Recently in our history. To ignore all of this and history is not a wise thing to do in my opinion. It is also not a kind thing to do and above all else we should strive to be kind. That is all.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    blowtorch likes this.

12. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty

13. theleman

theleman TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Mars
    We know it by the news of all the celebrities obituaries everyday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.