Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues and struggle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 30, 2017.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    It sounds like you are writing in present tense about racism among musicians, and I'd agree.

But when discussing the origins of Blues, Bluegrass etc we are looking back at times when some poor whites gathered into lynch mobs, while all poor blacks knew they could be hanged for associating too closely with whites, rich or poor.
    So back when blacks got lynched and created the Blues, they might not have had poor mountain folk bringing banjos to their music gatherings.

Eventually Blues got recognized, recorded, played on radio, and assimilated into other music genres before the lynchings stopped.
    But even when Blues was identified and named, there was still plenty of racism separating white culture from black culture in America. And still more time to pass before Blues hit radio and became well known to whites.

What I was suggesting, and I could be wrong, was that Gospel in churches might have been a more accessible music performance by blacks to white listeners than Blues in juke joints.
    Even if not attending the same churches, Gospel music would likely flood the street on a Sunday morning where whites could hear it, and it was the Lords work.

Juke joints or wherever the first Blues was performed was probably not in the face and ear of the white community, and if heard, was probably considered the Devils work.

Just sayin' long as we're talkin'.

WRT the "Machiavellian strategy", it has been written that the poorest of the poor whites were given some sense of pride in the fact that at least they were not black.
    So I'd agree with your suggestion that keeping the poor fighting amongst themselves might have suited a bigger more sinister agenda.
    If there was ever anything sinister in our history.

We are discussing history here, I believe.

What was the Blues born of?
    What is the Blues made of?
    Struggle?

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Struggle in that her death was some how a part of the music she played. It wasn't. She killed herself through indulgence.

Last time I checked, it takes a fair amount of money to buy a porche, paint it wild colors, and buy heroin in all flavors of the rainbow. And she had reporters and groupies and an entourage following her around. Hard to say that she was "struggling" given that fact.

Then again, if that's stuggle, I'd be happy to "struggle" like that, with while avoiding the obvious pitfalls of fame and fortune.

There are people without limbs. There are people who come back from war and cannot get their images out of their head. There are people who live with the ever-present spectre of cancer. THAT is *real* struggle.

Killing yourself because you live a party lifestyle with a bunch of other drug abusers...notsomuch.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    As mentioned earlier, there are different forms of struggle. Very obvious physical and economic struggle, but the hidden mental struggle can be just as harsh and/or fatal. Blues comes from all sides of struggle IMO.

matrix, telemnemonics and Nickadermis like this.

4. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2014
    Indiana
    The blues are about contrast. Contrast flows both ways light to dark, down to up. Falling down is down whether you drive a Porshe or a mule. Some blues tunes are quite happy. Muddy Waters "Bird nest" for instance. I'm wondering how many people posting on this thread really listen to blues. How if you are listening you only hear the deep blue parts without hearing the strength to turn to the light sky blue parts. Is it about struggle? It's about living.

Flat6Driver and Obsessed like this.

5. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Last time I went to the dentist, he was humming "As I went down in the river to pray" as he drilled out my filling.

Don't you tell me dentist have no 'soul' !!

41144 likes this.

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    'The singing dentist' sounds like the plucky winer of a 1950s talent show

Guy should be singing something with a tooth pun in it: fangs for the memory/whatever

brookdalebill likes this.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Does he have a green PRS?

Obsessed and brookdalebill like this.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Oh happy day!
    When Jesus drilled
    my cavities away!

We too can be absolved of our between meal snacks without brushing sins; if we would only ask our dentist for forgiveness and put our offering in his basket.
    I know my dentist cares about my mortal choppers.
    Saw him in the grocery store one day and he asked me if my breakfast cereal was that tooth crushing grape nuts stuff, but it was only the flakes variety.
    Seriously though, caring folks IME.

Except the one guy who always drilled without novocaine when I was a kid!!!

How in hell did we go from blues to dentists?
    Toothache is the big equalizer?

9. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Blues in 2017 is all acting.

And it's been all acting and performance ever since it resonated with audiences 100 years ago.

blowtorch likes this.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Worse, it's minstrelsy, essentially. And certainly generally what they call "cultural appropriation" around here

Dr Improbable and AJ Love like this.

11. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm struggling with my buttons,

my cargo shorts don't fit me no more,

my shrit is lookin' so bumched,

My woman won't let me out the door....

Dr Improbable, Obsessed and P Thought like this.

12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Always wanted a career in guitar
    But talent didn't allow me to get far
    Lord said young boy you'd better stop
    Now my dentist chair pays my Private Stock!

And I have the Blues .... Oh Lord I have the Blues! ...

[​IMG]

fatcat, viccortes285 and Obsessed like this.

13. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Lyrically, the blues massages the peripheral beauty of the victim mindset and a lifestyle of self-capitulation, with hedonistic comfort as the only consolation. Basically a mental blueprint-manual for how to be miserable. For immediate certification, do highway-bar-fast food-drive-thru-Walmart every day for a couple weeks, then rinse with view more comments.

P Thought likes this.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I think I listened to a different album to you

magicfingers99 likes this.

15. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    she actually died alone in a motel room, not much of a party....
    Heroin actually only comes in two flavors, "dead soon" and "dead now" - problem is they look exactly alike..

with great talent comes great problems, many greats are overcompensating for something else lacking in their lives.

I suggest you watch the documentary "little girl blue" before you judge her too harshly, it will give you some context. We all have our cross to bear in this life, don't judge others until you know the burdens they walk with.

Pain is pain, and no one has a corner on it, life is tragedy, that should be lived as a comedy, but for most folks their perspective is gone and life becomes a burden rather than a gift.

telemnemonics likes this.

16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    and how is this different than any other musical form? All performance is an act, hence the word performing, as in perfoming an act.

To disparage the perfomance because the performer is not actually experiencing that which they are communicating is either naive or silly. and to dismiss the artform because it is not "authentic" calls into account the pedigree of every artform. Which music is really real music?

A pointless exercise in assigning personal value to an abstract variable experienced in many different ways by many different people.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other people shouldn't be able to enjoy it. When I was an adolescent I dismissed any music that wasn't really rock, because it wasn't really music. I have gotten older and wiser, now like many I realize there are only 2 types of music in the world. Good and bad and its all a matter of personal taste as to which category you place them.

so yeah its all acting, but does that even seem pertinent?

Obsessed likes this.

17. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Hey Wake up ! Stop suggesting things I didn't write.

I didn't disparage the blues form. I do like it.

I was replying to the original post about "Struggle" and not any posts subsequent to that. I didn't even read most of them and the member who "liked" my post is on my ignore list so I haven't seen any of that guy's posts if he has been argumentative as usual.

Take a breath.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:58 AM
    blowtorch likes this.

18. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

19. theleman

theleman Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2017
    Mars
    To me, Blues reflect truth of life. Everyone is a victim, loser and underdog, because even if one is rich, successful and powerful right now, one day he will have to get old and die, demise all.

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.