Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blues and struggle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nicely said and perhaps true blues players know this without thinking about it.

magicfingers99 likes this.

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Disagree. A score is just information.

3. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Music is at its best an expression of someone's soul through a method of both words and instrument. I think the truest version as it presents two voices. Call that blues or whatever you will but the cream of that always rises to the top - and at its most basic and best form it springs forth emotion which is the driving force of greatness.

magicfingers99 and Piggy Stu like this.

4. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Oh, well, there's a pedigree.;) Sadly the rest is opinion, not fact.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    i think some people take themselves and their hobbies perhaps a little overly seriously. it's only entertainment, for most all of us, like golf or bowling

Besquire, AJ Love and Flat6Driver like this.

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I am reminded of some hymalayan proverb I heard along the lines of 'trying to solve unhappiness with material possessions is like trying to cure thirst by drinking salt water'

Apologies if I mangled that. I forget where I read it but the version I read would hit you right between the eyes as TRUE

Obsessed likes this.

7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Really? okay.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Blues, more than anything else, is a state of mind.

Besquire likes this.

9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta

10. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    I would argue that bluegrass and mountain music in general have little in common with the blues as a root of their form, but they do share similiarities in the pain and yearning as well as some chord structures. Bluegrass is said to have its roots in celtic folk music, hence the use of a drone in some compositions.

But yes, music does bleed across lines, british rock n roll was - (such as ala the stones) just really bad blues music, played so badly as to be unrecognized as the blues by at least me at the time. Eventually it evolved into a different branch of the blues. The song Money, was actually a blues when Roger Waters first wrote it.

The song "Eighteen" by ALice Cooper was originally a blues, you can find a few early live versions of it on you tube. Original title was 18 blues..The harmonica is sort of a tell isn't it?

so the blues is a river that runs through a lot of modern music...

Besquire and Piggy Stu like this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    From what I understand is that historically, Blues and mountain music evolved into bluegrass. So, I do believe that bluegrass doesn't exist without the blues. Admittedly, there is a lot of parallel development of all three genres that can be found, but chronologically, the blues came before bluegrass. Mountain music, of course came from Western European settlements in the U.S. much earlier, but is obviously completely separate roots than the blues and a completely different kind of struggle.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    Check out Piedmont Blues for insight into it's influence on Bluegrass and mountain music

blowtorch likes this.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    All this stuff about what is/is not blues remind me of someone saying there are only 2 genres of music: good and bad

The problem is, that is subjective. My genetics and life make a unique brain which gets different buttons pressed in it to make it fizzle. Yours is different. There is no objective good music: whatever floats your boat

If a dentist enjoys playing his relicked Les Paul R4 can we please forgive him/her?

In fact, can all of us please forgive any dentist reading this wildfire thread? I would probably be toothless without dentistry, and those folks really helped me in life. I don't mind if they are sat playing Vanilla Ice on the world's most expensive guitar: if they spent their lives scraping plaque out of holes reeking of halitosis they earned that rig and much much more

GOD BLESS EVERY DENTIST OUT THERE - EXCEPT THE ONE WHO TORTURED DUSTIN HOFFMAN IN THAT FILM 'MARATHON MAN'

matrix and telemnemonics like this.

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Don't you really mean country , and , western ?

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Sat right here in Bob's Country Bunker cracking a whip - YOU KNOW IT

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I don't have a blueprint on the history but there seems to be a direct link from Gospel to Grand Ole Opry to Bluegrass.
    There, Gospel might have bypassed Blues on its way to Bluegrass, even as Gospel also went straight to Blues in other DNA trips.

I'm thinking that mountain music/ Bluegrass was more white and potentially more influenced by racism, so less open to Black Blues, while more receptive to Gospel.
    Like you said though, lot of parallel development.

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    I will stick with the theory that Bluegrass/Mountain Music is a combination of Piedmont & Carolina Blues (which comes ultimately from American slaves) and Celtic music and English folk songs...

I love Bluegrass, it is a wonderful style of music

blowtorch likes this.

18. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    i'd say overall there's alot less racism among musicians and atheletes, than society in general. We don't care what color somebody is as long as they come up with something interesting to hear.

a poor black person and a poor white person have much more in common than a poor white person and a rich white person. most of the racial lines are drawn to separate people into controllable groups.

its the old Machivellian strategy, keep the princes fighting each other and they won't have time to fight the king. keep the poor fighting each other and they won' t have time to fight the power structure.

while there have definitely been racism in the marketing of records and the marketing/management of talent/musicians/writers, I don't think there is that much racism between musicians and song writers, we are ethnically blind and we'll steal any great riff we hear...

19. matrix

matrix TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    I am not a dentist (nor am I related to one), but by god I detest the superior snark directed at everyone who happened to select that particular helping profession. Do you seriously think that they are some sort of automaton, incapable of real emotion or artistic feeling? Are you really so sure of your superior suffering?

Doctors and lawyers are the two professions in the USA with the highest suicide rates.

But sure, a dentist playing the blues is automatically legit target for derision. No possible struggle there. They must be posers.

Whatever.

20. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    If it was low skill low pay dentists would be heroes, like nurses

The fact it takes a lot of skill and no one wants to do it makes high pay required and envy

I do however suspect that not many dentists have a great feeling when playing blues. Cold calm solitary analysis 40h a week doesn't mix with living inside a whiskey bottle with a hellhound on your trail. People tend to be good at music because they threw every part of themselves into succeeding at it, so it would take a lot of potential to do that and be a skilled dentist

Still, people tell me I have a good blues feel, and my job is very close to lawyer

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.