Blind Faith

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Prince1999, May 16, 2019.

1. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

New here, thanks for having me.

I got this itch I should have a piece of Americana History in the form of an electric guitar. Close to entertainment industry with where I live...

Long story short, I had been tossing it about... a Surf Green Squire Tele made in Indonesia, Basswood, brand new for sale for $130, with cheap tuners, and a new style of dark wood for the fretboard, or... what I could find local on Craigslist.

Craigslist won.... a very nice Tele Standard MIM from 1999 showed up. Nice condition, Alderwood body, Nice figured C shape ash neck fantastic paint color like you won't find on a US Tele Standard due to a restrictive government. It has .011's with flat wound wire on it. Previous owner maybe played jazz on it?

Screws have a very nice Patina on it. It's been played and the cord stepped on, the guitar jack gets excited when it sees me and I take it out of the case, or maybe it's just gravity. My All Parts retrofit jack in Nickel arrived today, so that's getting fixed.

She'll be 20 years old come September this year, according to Fender...

Midnight Wine. She's a 1999, and she came with a leopard skin strap, just like Prince and he did write a song about that year. I'll see if I can dig the photo link up.

Hence my name.

http://www.laguitare.com/img/prince-tele.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/4yqnp5g.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Stringbanger, 24 track and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Welcome! Sounds like a nice guitar, now let's see it!

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hi , and welcome aboard , chesck out the site and ask tons of questions , we have some really smart people on this sitethat can help to confuse you into making the right descisions( LOL) just joking!

enjoy and have fun

4. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

Pictures are mandatory, of course.
    Welcome to the forum!

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

So, this isn't about the band then?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

Prince was a band? No, he was a virtuoso. Revolving door for his cast and touring crew. Pretty eccentric, but then, what Hall of Fame Musician or band isn't? All IMHO, YMMV.

Hey, I only got 2 out of 3 right.... 1999, and the leopard skin guitar strap. Did he make both famous? I don't know, don't care, it's what popped into my mind for a "handle" around here.

7. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Think he meant the band "Blind Faith". :)

scrimmer and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

No, this is an introduction.... Blind Faith is about my buying process of my Tele.

Oh... OK, I have Blind Faith that my first electric guitar, a used 1999 Telecaster will make me a devout student of learning to play an electric guitar... Jeff Beck says a Telecaster is unforgiving and keeps you on your game.

I only have a rough idea of what I bought used. In that the parts on it, and materials are a better grade, and hopefully value, than a new Made in Indonesia Surf Green Squire, that I would have also bought on blind faith from a shop in KC MO, too, never having touched, seen or played it until it was shipped and showed up at my door.

My thought process is that if it's related to guitars, I should, at least in my mind, make it related to music. You know, it's getting harder and harder to think of things no one else has ever thought of before. I think Eric Clapton was in Blind Faith, didn't he ever play a Tele? :)

Maybe I'm in a Kevin Bacon and 6 degrees state of mind? Everyone knows someone...

9. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

yes he was and yes he did

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

congrats on your new tele and welcome aboard.

Is it possible that a leopard skin strap attracts women with raspberry berets?

We'll stay tuned! You, too.

Prince1999 and verb boten like this.
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, Blind Faith was a band. That's what I thought you were talking about, too!

A quartet. Eric Clapton. Steve Winwood. Ginger Baker. Ric Grech. Here's a sample (Tele content):

Congrats on the new axe. Sounds like you made the right choice!

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

Well, let's hope so... I can't see a Squire holding much value... the MIM is probably as depreciated as it's ever going to get. I don't think I got the absolute lowest pricing on it, I did OK with case and strap. That and a used MIM has already done pretty much all it's depreciation in 20 years. All that matters is that it looks relatively minty to me, and as an instrument, I practice, practice, practice, so that I can do it justice.

I live near enough to Fullerton, as well as Corona, CA, and Ensenada, MX is 160-170 mile as the crow flies, so I think my Tele won't have any problem, if it wants to, to Find It's Way Home.

Wow, just a fantastic clip you found there. I actually prefer that live extended version to the original version on vinyl.

Sooner or later, I'd think most guitarists record and play a Tele... even John Mayer has been known to record on one a time or three.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Midnight Wine was a great color.

Welcome!

14. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

I think if you play like Prince... neither the guitar nor strap matter?

Heck, I'd be happy at my age if a leopard skin strap attracts someone like Brittany Denaro. She likes her faux raccoon tail hanging off of whatever she's playing for Vixen... yes, I do think she's pretty foxy, too... though, I am probably too old for her. She's local around here, somewhere, I am sure, too. So is Albert Lee, over in Malibu. That dude kicks AZZ on a Tele, though now he's playing a grown up Jaguar, er, a Jazzmaster. I've seen him live, numerous times, decades ago at the old Agoura Valley Inn. Long since closed shop, the land got too valuable along the frontage road of the Ventura Fwy.... you know, that song America wrote about in the early 1970's, when it was just called Ventura Highway, instead.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

yes, if one could play like Prince, the appearance of guitar strap would not matter - yet, still, he wore the leopard spots.

when I think of LA tele players, I also think of Taylor Goldsmith/Dawes. There were a couple cuts on the last rekkid I liked a lot. yeah, he's not typically thought of as super heavy hitter, but dude can play.

better get busy practicing, ya? those teles like being played.

16. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

Tele 1.jpg

She's like a mood ring, goes through swings under different lighting. Definitely Silver base Candy Apple paint process, shot with many many layers of toner to get that depth of red, and impossible to match, fix or touch up, then gallons of clear coat on top for the depth in color. An easy weight gaining heavy, heavy paint job.

Attached Files:

scrimmer likes this.
  17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!

19. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Welcome!
    Very nice looking Tele you got there.

20. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.