Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blackstar HT-1R

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Paul in Colorado, Nov 17, 2017.

1. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

While I certainly respect your opinion and thoughts they are not in line with mine. But let me ask you: what would you recommend at this price point and that has better quality in your experience for cleans and such (I use the head out through a separate cabinet in which I upgraded to a nice 12” WGS Liberator speaker) and that can take headphones?

Richie-string likes this.

2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    I have no recommendations that includes a headphone.

I've used the little HT1R through my V30 Otange PPC212, and it sure improved it.
    I've had a epiphone valve junior, and whilst not as flexible in use, it was much superior tone wise. That was a fun little amp that. They often can be had cheaper on eBay.

To be honest..... I'm after an orange AD5. Super rare, but when they come up in England, they can be had around the same price point as the HT1R second hand, and are hands down the best little amps I've ever tried. Shouldn't have sold mine....... :( :lol:

rich815 and Richie-string like this.

3. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Yes but i can't seem to find many 1 watt amps, at least not from major manufacturers. I think it could a really hot little category for manufacturers if they did the amps with the right features and a good basic sound. I see not everyone has been impressed with this little amp but then again the majority of owners seemed to have been very impressed, it's like any product, it's not for everyone but i think the basic Blackstar product ticks all the boxes. Right features, good sound (subjectively) and well made. And most importantly competitively priced, like all Blackstar products are, it's a brand that certainly gives value for money and i respect that a lot.

Yes i take you point that they might be hybrid preamps but i'm getting less bothered about that as time goes on. I do love the responsiveness of a valve/tube preamp coupled with a quality valve/tube power amp, but if there is some solid state circuitry in there as well then i'm not going to get fussed about it. From what i can see many modern amplifiers seem to have some solid state bits in them. Also, to fair to Blackstar they are not one of those manufacturers who are, how shall i put it, perhaps a little less than forthcoming when it comes to the marketing of some of their circuits. Yes, Blackstar do use hybrid techniques but openly admit it so you know what you are buying. I'd have one definitely.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017

4. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I think Blackheart had the Killer Ant .

5. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

That's true, i remember that one, looked good. But i must admit i think Blackstar nailed it with the HT1R.

6. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I haven't heard the Killer Ant. But I really liked what I heard from the Blackstar !

7. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Shoot. Now I want to try an Epiphone Valve Jr!!

Les Paul lover likes this.

8. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    GC (and MF, I presume) still are selling their exclusive HT1RH half stack (head and 12” cab) for $399 new. Currently, the Seattle store has a used set for $250: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Blackstar/HT1R-Guitar-Stack-113619994.gc

ladave likes this.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I really liked that Marshall JCM-1H, especially because it had a 3-band eq. The eq (cathode follower) was actually solid-state, but that was the only solid-state thing in the audio path (besides the switchable distortion diodes), and it sounded really good, but was pricey.

10. Zaxxon

Zaxxon TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2016
    New York State
    100%. They put together a great package. I found it to be the handiest amp ever.

The cleans do not get that loud. I would love to experiment with tube and speaker changes with one.
    Sold mine and regret it. Looking for another one. Loved it.

11. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    I have one of the non-R HT1 “specials” GC used to have (no reverb, no headphone out, but otherwise the same as the HT-1R) i got when they were blowing them out for $90, IIRC, and there aren’t many tones I can’t get out of that thing. For a practice amp, it’s about ideal. That’s why my son “liberated” it...

I also ended up getting one of the little Fly 3 stereo packs, and that’s a brilliant little piece of kit too.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    At last practice we ran pedal steel through it and mic'ed it into the PA. Our steel player usually uses a SF Fender Bronco. The Blackstar sounded warmer and less ice picky. The reverb sounded good too.

13. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I dunno. Very uninspiring cleans on blackstars 1-5 watt lines,...but still overall seeming to be a great amp to pair with a digital floorboard., then it can sound like anything and do believe they are a great interface for that.
    I generally preffer to run an acoustic type amp for this thou, more versatile, can play box quitars or bass thru the same rig as electric then.
    I guess that is to say, I don' t care for fake tubery, might as well go S.S. all the way.

14. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have the HT1R and it doesn't do cleans real well, so I got the Egnater Tweaker 15 as well.

15. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    I have the HT1R and i use it at home. Perfect for it, since it has mp3 input, headphones and valve sound. In fact with a 112 cabinet is more than enough for home (if you use the overdrive or the gain at 100%... you will have some serious problems with your wife.

I only use cleans + Tele. Great Tone, excellent tone. I was so happy that i sold my VOX amp and buy the Artist 15 for bigger gigs. Very tempted with the HT5R and HT5210, but i was afraid since it was the GIG amp to be a little short on wattage (nevertheless i still think that 5W is more than enough for small gigs). So i went with the artist with a pair of 6L6 and classic tones. Excellent. Master volume, reverb, 2 channel.... pedals go perfect. Good alternative for Fender or VOX amps.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I used it again for the last two band practices and I'm still impressed. I used my regular pedalboard with a compressor, a humbucker guitar (G&L Tribute Deluxe Carvetop). I set it up clean and we put an SM 57 on it and ran it into the PA. The cleans are great and the reverb is nice. It makes me want to try a few of Blackstar's bigger amps.

RLee77 likes this.

17. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Sheffield UK
    Its a fantastic little amp for the money. I have the HT-1, same amp without built in reverb (I use a TC HOF mini reverb pedal instead). I'm not keen on the distortion channel, but the clean channel takes pedals really well.

It has everything, valves, headphone out, MP3 input and records nicely using the output into Garageband/Sonar etc.

Its not too loud for the house but is far louder than I expected from 1W.

18. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    It was the htr1 which tech me the wattage lesson. It seems that we use to buy more Power than we need.

In addition the Artist has máster volumen, but at home is sleeping all the time.

1W head + 15w head + 112 cabinet is the perfect equation for me . Space, money, sound....

Sent from my Studio XL 2 using TDPRI mobile app

19. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I will have to try one of these. I know I love the sound of my Blackstar HT Club 40 more than any amp I've ever owned, including some pretty vintage/classic Fenders and Marshalls. Great company.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.