Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Blackguard/Whiteguard-ish Telecaster build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by AlexFelix, Jun 27, 2017.

1. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy

To be honest I wanted to make it a blonde at first with a white ABS pickguard, but then since I already have reliced parts (whit an amazing bakelite black pickguard), looked more logic to build a butterscotch and then aging it, but don't let me regret it ahah

My recipe for the butterscotch is:

150gr of thinner
    50gr of 100gloss clear lacquer
    10gr of yellow dye
    2gr of red
    2gr of brown

After this, 4 coat of clear lacquer mixed 1:1,5; I sprayed them all together, but depend on how much you want the finish 'thick'. Since I have to age it, finish should be as thin as possible, and good part of the clear lacquer will 'go away' while wet sand, I only sprayed 2 of the four 'standard' coat.

Be carefull with the brown and the red specially, as you can see is really easy to build a color that remember..an egg yolk!

2. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Oh, don't know if I should have mentioned it but all the paint (basecoat, clear etc) was from Sherwin Williams.

I found that their own clear lacquer doesn't crack so easily, like you know put it in the freezer and then expose to the sun, but if you let it cure for 2 or 3 weeks, a good thermal shock will crack it very nicely. I used a compressed air can (reversed) and an hairdryer, but maybe an heat gun is more appropriate.

Of course be carefull with the heat gun as you can 'cook' the paint and it will peel off the body.

3. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Whit the lacquer almost dry to the touch I wanted to take a pic in my room as here I have a lamp with a white led light, that can show the real color of the guitar.

To me doesn't look totally right, maybe too much orange/red-ish or even too much yellow? Don't know. Look almost like a 'smoked butterscotch' or something like that.

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great!!

fenderchamp likes this.

6. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Not too orange/brown/red-ish? I'm seriously thinking about do it another one and put this on fire

7. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    OK - you do another one and send that one to me (I'll pay postage) 'cos I think it's lovely!

AlexFelix likes this.

8. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy

Ahaha maybe I'm too much severe whith myslef. It look so correct on pic but not on white light ahah

9. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Found the time to make a couple of neck. I usually handbuild those too, but since I was in a hurry for the one on the left (which have a Strat heel and tele headstock), I made one for myself just to check if everything is ok. Standard tele neck, 9.5 radius, big C shape. Perfectly quartersawn hard rock maple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see there, there's still rasp marks, as I only made profile and rough shape with a small cnc.

[​IMG]

Barncaster likes this.

10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Really admiring your work. It all looks great!

AlexFelix likes this.

11. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think I like the Vince Gill White. All three versions are nice with that body. Pretty grain in Natural, Trans-White or BSB. Can't go wrong with any of those choices. Way too nice to relic!

AlexFelix likes this.

12. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Some update after a looong battle with a build for a customer that didn't want to be completed! But hey, I won!

Anyway, the lacquer has cured so I managed to do a ''little'' aging to the body. I know that someone will don't like 'fake aged' guitars, but I needed to test myself on that process so here we are. Please be clement with the comment!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Oh, I need to add a little story to this.

My granpa (father of my mother) moved to Switzerland when he was young, with my granny. He lived there for neary 30 years, but after my mother was born they have 'sent' her to live in Italy with her aunt at the age of 8.

Her uncle used to play guitar a the local village fair or at the curch or whatever. Of course he had a Telecaster. Now, the sad story was that as most of the people of his era he used to have grazing animals, so when the thing was going nice he used to play the guitar etc but then when my mother's aunt died he had to take care of everything so the guitar was ''stored'' into his barn and there remained (me and my mother tought) for almost all of his life.

Of course at the time nobody was care that much of a guitar, specially in a small village where the only concern was the animals healt. So my mother when I was 10 or 12 told me about that guitar, and of course I spent almost my summer trying to found it either in the barn or in the garret, without any luck.

That said, I just wanted to figure out how it could be a guitar that was storaged into a barn, in a cardboard box, for pretty much 25 years. And there it is, my 'barn find' Telecaster :)

ModerneGuy likes this.

14. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    So, as long I still need to build the neck (quite busy with work), I'm going to complete what I currently have, i.e. the body. I need to purchase everything for it and I've made a small list below. Please point me out if something is not correct for a '54ish Tele.

Control plate

[​IMG]

Knobs

[​IMG]

Switch tip

[​IMG]

Jack plate #1

[​IMG]

Jack plate #2

[​IMG]

String ferrules #1

[​IMG]

String ferrule #2
    [​IMG]

Bakelite pickguard

[​IMG]

Any advice is appreciated!

15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    The parts and the body look great. I think the scraped up areas on the body would look even better if they were a bit more dirty and oxidized. There's something that people use I don't know exactly what is, but maybe someone will post a link.

AlexFelix likes this.

16. fenderchamp

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    If you detailed what you did to age the body and hardware so far I suspect many of ud would very much enjoy learning about it too.

17. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy

I still don't know if use jack plate #1 or #2 and string ferrules #1 or #2! Any advice?

18. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy

Nothing special, I just let the clear lacquer for 2 weeks (it's very how here in Italy), and since I use an outrageous expensive (maybe really too much) spray gun, the laquer was so good I didn't had to wet sand it.

So I just buffed it a little, then used the Zippo lighter fluid to took most of the gloss off. For the relic job I mostly used a knife (gift from my father), some very long self-threading screw and a small grater (is the correct word?).

To give the 'dark' color to the scratch I just used a medium brown dye, then rubbed with the Zippo fluid and a brillo pad.

For the weather checking..well just weather ahaha Put it on freezer overnight and exposed to the 12 o'clock italian sunlight (40 degrees pretty much). This way I had the most of the checking. Then completed it with an heat gun and a compressed air can (reversed).

Nothing special, I guess

19. fenderchamp

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Looking at the Black guard book I think you want jack plate 1

20. fenderchamp

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha

21. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Ok for that!

Damn. I knew it. I don't have the tool to install it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.