Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Blackguard/Whiteguard-ish Telecaster build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by AlexFelix, Jun 27, 2017.

1. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Hello everyone,

as I closed my small shop for holidays, I would like to start what I couldn't for the last 5 years: Build a guitar for me.

With time against me, I wanted to build a '59 LP replica but is honestly not possibile in a short time plus the weather is really hot here in middle Italy, so I'll go for a Telly.

Inspired by some of your creation in the 'Blackguard Replica Builders Club', I wanted to do something like that. Though I still don't know if use a Black bakelite pickguard or a White ABS one.

Anyway, I selected a feather-weight Swamp Ash body blank, 2 pieces, sadly no old-growth as I cannot be able to find any. It weight approximately 2.81kg. and should be tickeness a little bit yet.

I really like the grain, but can't decide what side is better, so I would like to hear your opinion :)

Telly shape on it is generic telly shape just to figure out what side is the best.

Pic below and more to follow!

1-

[​IMG]

2-

[​IMG]

2. Telejoe1

Telejoe1 TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Germany
    NR 1!!!

Honest Charley likes this.

3. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    So my fiancè decided for me what was the best grain for that body, with no excuses.

So I made some template in 20mm thick MDF, roughly bandsawed the body and the flush trimmed it on the router table. Swamp Ash cutted like butter with the spira bit.

[​IMG]

And here's the body trimmed.

[​IMG]

With another template I first removed some material from both neck pocket and bridge pickup cavity. I went direct with the small router bit on the wiring channel.

[​IMG]

All cavity expect the electronic one are done. That's because I need to take some other measurement abouth the lenght of it. They guy that borrowed me his original Tele needed to have it back so any help on this would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I know that there's some minor (or major depend on point of view) differences between this and a what called 'historically correct' one, but I was not able to have access on all the info I needed, so I consider this as a sort of proto.

Barncaster, Crobbins and MadRocker like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Some small update.

Made the correct (I guess) template for the electronic cavity and routed it.

[​IMG]

Also routed the rear string ferrule. I know that those hasn't to be that straight, but as as long as I don't have the correct size drill bit for the 'period correct' ferrules, is ok as is.

[​IMG]

Now, someone know what is the correct radii of the body roundover?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017

6. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    ottimo, molto benfatto!

lo saprebbe Ron Kirn

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Looks nice.

AlexFelix likes this.

9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Looking great!

AlexFelix likes this.

10. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Thanks!

The question of roundover radii is now fixed. Already bought a router bit for that.

Now, someone can point me at where to find (if possibile) black bakelite dot and side dot?

11. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Small update! Selected the neck blank, with what @preeb would call 'correct'?

[​IMG]

12. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    A little bit of mess. Body has received a wash-coat of sealer, sanded smooth and grainfilled. It almost look butterscotch yet!

[​IMG]

Barncaster and cdwillis like this.

13. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Another small update with crappy pic. I removed the nail to hang the guitar to the stick and let it dry.

Grainfiller sanded smooth and locked in with 4 coat of basecoat/sealer. First 2 coat sprayed 1:2 (1 part of sealer 2 part of thinner), last 2 coat sprayed 1:1 (1 part of sealer 1 part of thinner)

Now it will dry for 48h then sand flat with 320 and 400, then spray another 2 light coat and sand smooth with 600 grit. Next the fun part finally!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That's really looking good!!

Piggy Stu likes this.

15. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Looking forward to seeing this white or black guard painted.

16. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2013
    Victoria, BC
    Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the final result.

17. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    After all the 4 coat, the Swampy look like want more basecoat! Hope to have a perfect and levelled surface after the 2 last coat, as now, I will sandy 'heavily' the previous 4. First time been in that situation, but the swamp ash is so light and spongy that I could even think to grainfill it again

18. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Another small update with crappy pic. Managed to sand all flat with 320, nice and smooth enought for the blonde. Of course I'm now out of thinner so need to go and buy it. Here's some pic of the sanded body anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barncaster and Daniel94 like this.

19. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Bought the thinner and sprayed the blonde!

Maybe no-one will be interested but here's the formula I used:

200gr of thinners
    150gr of 50gloss clear lacquer
    45gr of white lacquer (for the white I used a white basecoat, is the same stuff)

Sprayed 4 coats on the sides, and 2 coats on top and back. Do not spray heavy! Tomorrow I'll spray one coat of 100gloss clear lacquer to lock the white, then 4 coat of the 'butterscotch' that I have already mixed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barncaster, fenderchamp and Daniel94 like this.

20. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    So, the weather was so good today that I managed to spray the 'butterscotch' too.

Don't know if I'm 100% satisfied with it. On the pic it almost look perfect, but in fact, to me, seem to be a little too much orange-ish/red-ish that I wanted or it needed to be. Maybe I've added a couple of drop of red too many.

I clearcoated it any way, as loong as it will be reliced, SHOULD not make any difference (I hope). At least I learned something, no?

Pic below, please any comment are really welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonetele, Barncaster and Telejoe1 like this.

21. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Looks really good to me!! The white was so pretty I was a little shocked that you painted over it :)

Since you posted your white recipe you might as well post your butterscotch recipe too, even if it was a drop too red.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.