Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blackguard Replica Builders Club

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by eresseraca, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Moab

Moab TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Pleasant Grove, Utah

Wow tweedman2001, just stunning looking guitar. I have painted over 400 guitars all made to look new. To me making a relic guitar finish look authentic is far harder than just finishing a guitar to look new. I do want to build a relic for myself. My first question would be what brand of lacquer did you use for that great checking achieved on your guitar. Any techniques you care to share would be appreciated.

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    This was as close as I could get on a very limited budget, over two years. It WAS a black and white Affinity Telecaster. I converted the bridge to vintage string through, replaced the cheap plastic jack plate with a metal cup, as well as a new Fender spaced control plate, with domed knobs and barrel tip. I refinished it, painted and converted the guard to 5 hole, relocated a round string tree, and changed the logo. The nut is a Tusq XL. I would still like to get some vintage style tuners on there,when I have the money to spare.

The pots/jack are upgraded and the pickups are a Broadcaster/Nocaster style set of my own making, both 43 gauge, 8k at the neck,10.1k at the bridge. It has a modified Broadcaster blend circuit in it, rather than standard tele switching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    dubtrub likes this.

3. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Thanks Moab. It is still my absolute favorite guitar, feels like I've been playing it for 50 years. I cannot take credit for the lacquer on the body. It was done by MJT and I don't know what type they used or what process to finish it. Perhaps they might tell you if you called them. All I can tell you is that I got it off eBay in one of their auctions and helped it a little bit more. The neck was preshot too but I did more relicing on it than the body. Now except for the bridge plate, I did relic all the metal and the guard. Sorry I can't give you more info.

4. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    That is a great job. If I manage to acquire another inexpensive tele, I'd be inclined to do some kind of Esquire project. I have a couple more bridge pickups built that need places to go....:D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

5. Moab

Moab TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    That guitar is impressive with everything you have done to it. MJT does good work. I like relics when they look like the real deal. Your looks amazing to me.

6. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Finally tracked down some less expensive,but decent looking, vintage style tuners. So, once they come, I'll be putting that finishing touch on mine. Admittedly, more tribute than true replica, being Affinity based. Neck and body specs aren't vintage but, hey, I do what I can........:D

dubtrub likes this.

7. TuaLaoch

TuaLaoch TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Missouri
    Beautiful guitars here! I'm putting together my own plan to build a Blackguard replica. I'd prefer to build the body myself, though. Does anyone know of an "accurate" template source for a 52?

8. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Not sure how I missed this thread.
    I would like to IMG_0918.JPG submit my application to the "Blackguard Club".
    IMG_1246.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0913.JPG

For full disclosure it started as a white guard but the the black guard just looked right...

9. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    If my initial application needs a reference, I present the "blackNblue" caster.

IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1078.JPG

10. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Tua,

check out Ed Hawley's build on this site. I think there is a CAD file he made off of an authentic '53 if I remember right. You can take that to your office store and have them print to full size and make your own.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Didn't know this thread existed until it popped up on the feed. Here's my 52-ish Esquire:

IMG_1961.JPG DSC_0343.JPG IMG_2426.JPG

12. m.m.caster

m.m.caster TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2012
    goro-italy
    hi everyone! here's my blakguard...

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.