Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blackguard Replica Builders Club

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by eresseraca, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    OK so, I'm building one using an '82 (first year) reissue neck and tuners and an '03 reissue body until I find an '80's RI body (I just missed an '88 on ebay, didn't pull the trigger fast enough) Pictures to follow

2. 03029174

03029174 TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Uk
    Here is one which i received yesterday. I'm so happy with it. It was finished and assembled by luthier Dave Dearnaley of Cardiff, South Wales UK, who i cannot recomend enough. Dave is very knowledgable and has a real eye for detail.

I was fortunate enough to win a USACG Old School Body and neck in the TDPRI competition in 2011. After gathering dust for 2 years i decided to move the parts on. I was actually one day away from listing the parts on the bay when i met a guitarist (whilst picking up an effects pedal), who had a real blackguard and let me have a go. I decided it was a sign and i should make use of the parts (even tho the money was tempting at the time)

I rang a few luthiers and anyone who didnt own the blackguard was instantly crossed off the list. Dave was pretty local and turned the project round in about 10 weeks.

The guitar sounds fantastic, i scored a set of Klein Epic 52's and have been as accurate as possible with the parts. I have gone for a late 52 spec due to the neck profile (soft v with medium 12th fret markings (and i can still get away with alot of slot head screws). The serial is alittle early but it's by daughters birthay so i've let that detail slip :) It weighs in at 6lbs 14.2.

Most of the parts were from Madisons in the States and i was pretty happy with the parts, Dave used alot of his own screws because the relicing on the Madison screws made them look like Brass.

The finish is all Nitro and the colour is the original colour. I will be putting it in the window over the next couple of summers to let the UV get at it and darken it. Dave was against darkening the colour to get the aged look and i completly agree.

Anyways here's the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

3. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    1954 replica.

Home-brew pine body (I need the light weight), Warmoth traditional "fatback" neck with 7.25" radius and vintage frets. Duncan Vintage 54 pickups. 1954 wiring, which was the first year of the modern 3-way bridge/both/neck set-up. CTS pots and a vintage oil-in-paper cap. Oak Grigsby switch.

Hardware from "martin6string" on eBay, who sells traditional spec parts slightly "aged".

Painted in ReRanch BSB, then rubbed down with brown shoe polish and wiped off for "grime". Ditto on the neck.

The rest of the wear is genuine, including back of the neck, fingerboard dirt and the edge where the paint has thinned down from my forearm.

I must have done it right, because it is easily my #1.

[​IMG]

4. 03029174

03029174 TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Uk
    Fitting some new strings and decided to take some pics. Its been under the UV lamp and is starting to pickup abit of a tan. In a few of the shots it still looks pretty blonde but in the flesh the colour is closer to the first pic.
    Its pretty much there now, need to get some grease into the back of the neck from playing, oh and replace the sting tree as its a little over cooked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Micky Mojo

Micky Mojo TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2010
    North East
    image-841354310.jpg

Is a Sunburst allowed to join?

Lightweight body lacquer finish
    Baja neck and tuners
    Bare Knuckle Blackguard Flat 50 pickups
    CTS, Orange Drop, Cloth Wire etc

Best player and best sounding of my 4 Tele's by a mile. I'll take some better pics if anyone is interested.

jgriffin likes this.

6. Micky Mojo

Micky Mojo TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2010
    North East
    image-3546772747.jpg

It was an Esquire for a while.

7. Georgie_Montero

Georgie_Montero TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Chile
    Guitar Mill Swamp Ash 2 pieces center joint body and Musikraft 1 piece flame maple neck in U shape.

I make the finish in nitro vintage white blonde and the relicing job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 03029174

03029174 TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Uk
    that look amazing, well done Georgie. Did you give it the UV treatment by sticking it outside in the sun?

9. Georgie_Montero

Georgie_Montero TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Chile
    No UV treatment. I made various coats of nitro with different tonalities of blonde. Under the pickguard, bridge, control plate i left more clear (white blonde) and the rest more yellow.

This guitar have 8 years.

Regards:p

10. Chris_Evans

Chris_Evans TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Hi, I've just finished my blackguard build, apart from needing to the bridge pickup, and bridge screws to slot head.

It's a Musikraft 0514 blackguard neck, and a 1 piece ash body. Both were finished in nitro by MJT. The pickups are Lollar Vintage Ts , which sound incredible!

It is literally the best Tele I've ever played! So incredibly resonant, and weighs only 6.4 lbs.

I've not yet added a headstock decal. I'm still deciding what to put on it.

Hope you like it,
    Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. stacks

stacks TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Vt
    I've learned a lot lurking here over the years, here are a few of the black guards I built from my old barn's rafters.

Attached Files:

12. CNILE

CNILE Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2015
    Mississippi
    10 bucks down the drain...

Damn. I bought a white pickguard.
    I guess this means that I can't post the build.
    Too bad.

13. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2016
    Brandon, MS
    Working on one. The only thing is the body is old pine from my Mom's family barn. A piece of wood that every little boy peed off of. It was the cross beam of the barn right above the main door.

Every member of my family that I know has played in that barn and walked across that piece of wood.
    The barn is about to fall in after over 100 years.

I asked my cousin whom is much older than even me. He said that piece of wood is at least 67 years old.

So that maked it right at the age of the original fender guitars.

I chose a blackguard. 0038 for inspiration.

Just got The Book and Nacho is a super cool guy.

I had a musikraft neck based on 0038 made. And have some 0038 pickups coming soon from Don Mare.

14. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2016
    Brandon, MS
    Pics of progress

Attached Files:

15. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Here's my early '51 Blackguard Esquire replica partscaster. I've been playing it for six months now and the honeymoon has not ended.

It's my number one tele/esquire even over a Fender CS.

Specs:

NECK: eBay nitro relic finished WD TMV neck. Broadcaster Fat C contour 9 1/2" radius, med jumbo frets and bone nut. 1st .975" 12th 1.03" Finish relicing done by myself.

BODY: MJT body off eBay. Lightweight 3lb 14oz one piece ash heavy reliced.

WEIGHT: 6lbs 12.75oz

PICKUPS: Cavalier Hydra Lion. Bakersfield, Nashville and Huge taps.

WIRING: Initially wired for the three taps I ended up using the 1)Huge and 2)Bakersfield with no-load tone pot and 3)Huge with Eldridge mod. A .01uF Sozo for the tone cap and .0033uF for the Eldred. CTS pots, Switchcraft switch & Jack.

OTHER: All hardware is Fender except for Rutters machined jack cup and Glendale Broadcaster knobs. The pickguard and switch tip were from Callaham. All relicing done by myself.

Blackguard Esquire 2.JPG IMG_1850.JPG
    CIMG0238.JPG IMG_1859.JPG CIMG0245.JPG

Revv23 likes this.

16. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Great job on the relic! You knocked it out of the park! Where is the cigarette burn!?

17. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Pipe smoker. LOL. Not really. You're right though it could use one but I figure the CS over did it in the early days. Every relic they put out had that burn mark.
    BTW thanks.

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Can I play?

Not a Blackguard in the purest sense of the word, but my "tributecaster," is equipped with parts matching everything on the 51/52 AVRI Nocaster, including being wired up with a dark circuit schematic. I chose the quilted, trans-black mahogany under the gold accents because it brings to mind the aesthetic of a pompadour and a pinstripe suit, or maybe a sleek black Cadillac. In other words, the over-the-top showiness of the 50's, or at least, my perception of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would've sworn I had completed pics showing the pearloid knobs. If I do, they're obviously not on Photobucket...perhaps they're elsewhere.

tweedman2001 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.