Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blackface or Tweed for a Tele- which is better and why

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tjmicsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Ah, nothing quite so fine as tweed plus tele. Full sounding
    clean to nice and crunchy~all with just a cord connecting
    the two.

Blackface is probably better if you use pedals.

2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't know what your budget is but I would avoid the reissues like the plague and buy the nicest amp you can afford.

Black and Tweed maps generally are pretty versatile so there probably isn't a bad choice but you may like one over another.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Brown ( the truth lies in the middle)

dannyh and FiddlinJim like this.

4. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    I have a Tone King Imperial Mark I which has blackface and tweed tone stacks (selectable by a footswitch) and have found through (very expensive) tone chasing that getting a specific tone is achieved by having the talent and a well matched pickup(s) and speaker(s).

5. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    My former tweed Vibrolux + Tele was perfection to my ears.
    For any type of music.

6. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Newer School = Marshall & Les Paul

7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Yep. ^^^ this ^^^

8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Newer School: /13 Tele

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.

9. tjmicsak

tjmicsak TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Webster, NY
    Would that be similar to the Marsh Buffalo mod?

10. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    I recently got a Victoria 45410 but with 212s so it's more like a low powered tweed twin. I have an Allen old flame in the studio (blackface super reverb). So I was ab'ing them in the studio since I may be letting go of the Allen, two beasts are too much for my needs. With my broadcaster specd tele the Victoria is the winner for me but I love those thick lows and milkshake mids. The Allen sounds beautiful, snappy, bright, articulate and if it sells it'll be missed yet for me, to get through a gig with just cable/chord/guitar, I need that fuller frequency range. It has a big bold clean, perfect for country but with bigger shoulders. With that said, that specific high end of the blackface fenders is a magical thing and cannot be replicated, so I think that is the most important component

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    I love vintage Fender amps and own several wonderful examples...........but no reason to "avoid the reissues like the plague" IMO and IME. PTP is easier to repair and probably more durable than PCB, but the reissues are fine amps(and repairable). Just like any vintage amp, need to make sure the tubes and electrolytics are good and the power tubes properly biased. Interestingly, the DRRI has been in production longer than the Blackface and Silverface originals........COMBINED! Same is true for the TRRI, I believe. My point is that reissues are good reliable amps and a good one at a good price is not a bad purchase. A vintage amp does not automatically mean it will be magical.....or reliable.

Bellacaster and t guitar floyd like this.

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Love this.

13. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    I don't know that mod.

14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I like blackface type amps with a mid knob. Kinda like having a little of each.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.