Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blackface or Tweed for a Tele- which is better and why

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tjmicsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    ^^My experience as well. Had a 15” amp that I loved. Just next to it, everything seemed reasonable. For the folks about 10 ft in front of it, they looked like they were in pain. I know my playing had something to do with that as well, but that 15” was like a buzz-saw if you were in front of it!

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Both sound great...and I also LOve a Tele into a Blonde or brown Fender amp as well.

telemnemonics and digitalshrub like this.

3. digitalshrub

digitalshrub TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2016
    NYC
    My favorite amp is still a Brownface Fender Deluxe — can’t remember what year, but I ran my Tele and Jazzmaster through that amp for every song on my band’s most recent record. Too bad it belonged to the studio...

4. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    I'm playing a Tele through a Deluxe Reverb (65 RI) with TC Mojomojo. I prefer Blackface amps, because they're more versatile. They have more headroom and I like the Vibrato and Reverb.
    With the Mojomojo i can easily get a nice Tweed sound. It's very cheap and it's one of my favourite Drive pedals

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I've found that blackface amps with a mid knob work well for me. Currently I have a vintage sound vs 15. While it won't do authentic tweed tones aka a 5 E3 circuit cranking the mids makes the amp,a lot more versatile. I hope to order a Lil Dawg WonderDawg in the future.

6. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    I have a 1968 Twin that I use. LOVE it. I set bass=5 mids=7 treb=5 and just play !

7. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Tweed! enough said!

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yes.

In a perfect world, I'd have my '66 Deluxe Reverb back and a nice Tweed Deluxe.

Sadly, I don't live in a perfect world. On the other hand I have a Y2K era Vox AC-15 that gives me Instant Tom Petty with a Tele.

DavidP and Wicked-T like this.

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    The Tele handles both admirably!

Maradona86 likes this.

10. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    Of course, you have solved your own dilemma.:D

11. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Whatever the guitarist on this recording used! I want this amp! Dinky little studio in Bakersfield, Ca. around 1962. The owner probably couldn't afford much in the way of expensive equipment, but whatever amp he chose, it created the perfect twang, if you ask me. And it's not a BF (1962 recording date).

jiri_c and SnidelyWhiplash like this.

12. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

May 17, 2015
    Snowlake Arizona
    Tweed and Blackface are both old school. New school is digital processed, under 30 pounds, 15 knob minimum, solid state.

zephyrR1 likes this.

13. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I knew this topic would bring differing opinions. LOL...

The Fender blackfaces have been used by country players for decades, and I would imagine they have been the most widely used in the genre. There are quite a few different models of blackfaces, though, so finding the right one for you will require some digging.

Tweeds are also plentiful in country music and can be utilized to get just about any decent country tone, same as the blackfaces. They are different, though, and again, finding the right tweed amp for you will require more digging.

There is more to the question than simply blackface vs tweed. I've been a country player all my life and have used a lot of different amps, and played with a lot of guys who played through everything imaginable. You can get the sound you are looking for through several different amps, not to mention other brands, like Peavey, as already mentioned. I love Fender amps and have always preferred them. I played through a Deville for years and loved it. One of the best amps I ever played through was a Music Man. LOL

Find your own sound. Good luck

14. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I don't know. Buck Owens' favorite amp was a tweed Bassman. It was recovered in Tolex in later yrs,
    but it was a TB. :cool:

15. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Brent Mason plays a Blackface.... we could go back and forth.

16. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2018
    Olympia WA
    use what sounds good, that will depend on the amp, your guitar, your playing technique, and what kind of songs you are doing. why not use both? get a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb next to a Tweed DeLuxe. they might sound good together.

i got a band mate who sounds the same thru everything, that is because of his technique, he likes to deaden the strings so you hear a lot of midrange.

even the same amp model might sound different from amp to amp, especially the old tweed amps.

want a sound right between a Tweed and a Blackface? don't want to carry a lot of luggage? stick a Tweed DeLuxe output transformer inside a Princeton Reverb. this gives you the sound of the Blackface tone stack with the compression of the tweed. (the Tweed OPT has much more DCR than the BF OPT, this is because of the gapped core which needs more turns to get the Henrys up there)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

17. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    if i was using no pedals at all (which is how i usually play), i would run my tele straight into a tweed and manipulate my sound via vol/tone knobs and pickup selection on the guitar.

but, if i had to use pedals and needed a much more diverse palette of sounds, i would put the tele through a blackface.

18. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ
    a lot depends on who`s playing

Shidoin likes this.

19. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    I know of a mod you can do to a Deluxe Reverb that will give you the best of both worlds.
    The vibrato channel stays as is but the Normal channel gets rewired to Tweed spec. An A/B pedal does the rest.

20. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Last version of Pro Jr seems so appropiate for! Tweed indeed...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.