Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Blackface or Tweed for a Tele- which is better and why

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tjmicsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Hey, I use a Tele into an old tweed Deluxe...I never turn it up past 3.5. It's plenty of amp to hang with a drummer and handle places that hold 100-150 people.

If it's mic'd, I mean c'mon, a tweed Champ could fill the Garden.

I've had a Deluxe Reverb and still have a Twin Reverb. I actually like the Tele through the tweed best because of the mids but to each his own.

viccortes285 and JimInMO like this.

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Either one really. Just run a compressor between your guitar and amp. A tweed will cut through the mix better in my opinion because of having a bit more mids.
    They look better too.
    20180222_132647.jpg

Alamo likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I prefer BF, because I play clean most of the time.
    If I was more of a rocker, tweed would be cooler.
    Both sound great.

thegeezer likes this.

4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Depends on the drummer... I've played with one who's sole purpose in life seemed to be hitting the kit as hard as he possibly could. A tweed deluxe would've stood no chance!

telemnemonics and Shango66 like this.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    My Tweed Deluxe has been got at with uprated transformers and a few other mods. It'll stay cleaner till a lot later than a stock TD, which makes it a bit more useful for gigging. The small cab does however hold it back, so I just scored a Tweed Super clone. More of everything in a lightweight package, plus a better tone stack. I'm interested in how it'd sound with a 12" Celestion Gold, but the 2x10 Jensens seem pretty cool.

skerwo likes this.

6. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    With judicious use of EQ and tone control I can get either to sound just like each other. Prefer tweed and Marshall's for Strats. Tele sounds great into anything .

7. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Right, just turn down the bass and treble (and turn up the mids if available) and turn up the volume and a blackface has plenty of mids...

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I agree with the prolific use of Peaveys on much of the early county recordings and tele work.

But as far as blackface versus tweed, I always thought I liked the blackface sound better - at home. With a band? The tweed wins in my opinion. All that lush scooped sound of a blackface can vanish in a band, while the tweed seems to speakout, and spanks and quacks better for a tele imo.

9. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

May 1, 2011
    GA
    What about a Bassman?

telemnemonics likes this.

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Fantastic sound. Dangerously loud. 410s are a bit odd. Stand directly in front and they don't seem too loud. Anyone further away gets their face melted.

thegeezer likes this.

11. LuthRavin

LuthRavin TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

May 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    When these questions pop up I always go back to my youth.. and Buckaroo Don Rich.. His Telecaster thru a Blackface Fender will always light up my fire!!

8barlouie likes this.

12. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2012
    Winnipeg

13. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Tweeds and Blackface (Silverface)........I like both for what they do. How does one decide?

14. jutter

jutter Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2011
    The Netherlands

Hmmm why not?!

televillian and telemnemonics like this.

15. jutter

jutter Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Is this a Pro Junior?

16. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I know that I did the Lol, but I was actually being serious. I remember seeing lots of very talented players using Peavey's back in the day and sounding pretty darn good.

17. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    It's a Tweed Deluxe clone.

18. jutter

jutter Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Do you mean the tubes or the tranny Peavey amps?

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Gotta disagree.
    A tweed Bassman is not a very loud amp. 40 watts just isn't much louder than 20, and they start to break up at reasonable volume. AND, the 4x10 sound disperses very close to the amp, so you do hear what the room is hearing. It's 12s and 15s that do what you describe

724SP, telemnemonics and LuthRavin like this.

20. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that most were solid state, Bandits and Studio Pro's. A lot of the Peavey amps from that era had the same or very similar cosmetics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.