Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Blackface Fender Twin

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KRZ4TELE, Jun 13, 2013.

1. KRZ4TELE

KRZ4TELE Tele-Holic

Hi Guys, I cannot get the seller (elderly gent) to access the tranny/speaker codes on a blackface twin that is for sale but I seem to remember something about the words Fender Elec. Inst. Co. under the amp name indicating a certain era. Maybe before or after CBS. Please inform me if those words are significant.
    Thanks!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied

Go here for what's to know about vitnage FEnders.

http://www.superchamp.dk/papers/dating_fender_tube_amps.htm

That 'Fender Elec. Inst.'---FEI--indicates pre-CBS. BF FAceplates from the CBS era...started in Jan 1965....read Fender Musical Instruments---FMI-- in that spot. The tube chart in that amp should have stamped dates codes reading 'M-', 'N-', or possible early 'O-'.....M would indicate 1963 and would be a very rare amp, N is 1964 while O would indicate 1965. A 1965 amp coudl possibly have a FEI plate as a transition oddity. NOte: the second letter of those dates codes would indicate the month....A = January,
    B = FEb, etc.
    Teh transformer codes are visible from the back of the amp as are the speaker codes unless the speaker codes are covered by thelabels on thespeakers. Ime, the tranny codes are not enough info for me unless Iknow the amp and or the owner already. I have seen exc cond BF amps with all codes that are visible on the outside look like they were top dollar amps. When the chassis was pulled, both amps showed massive gutting...all components on the boards were changed as were all of the pots on the front panel. This reduces value by at least 50% from exc orign cond values, imho.
    Caveat emprtor.

3. KRZ4TELE

KRZ4TELE Tele-Holic

WOW! Thanks for the the killer link Wally! :eek: Everything is there!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

6. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Tele-Afflicted

Fender Electric Instruments on a Blackface usually indicates 1964. Though I have an early 65 Vibro Champ with the 64 cosmetics, so it's just a general rule with exceptions.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied

And there are some 1963 BF FEnders with the FEI panels. There are definitely more pre-CBS '64 FEnders than '63's, though, by far.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.