Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Blackface Bassman Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Phrygian77, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Kev Reg

Kev Reg TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Scotland
    That looks great. Im loving the amount of room in the chassis to work round. Very spacious! Just the total opposite of a 5e3 haha.

Phrygian77 likes this.

2. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Awww yea! Throw some heaters up in there! I can almost hear it now! Nice work

Phrygian77 likes this.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia
    Very well done

It looks good and it's gonna rock big time!!!!!

Phrygian77 likes this.

5. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Got my NFB switch done, but one of my resistors is upside down. It's the only damn resistor in the whole amp that's not oriented right... lol. I'm also not happy with my shielded wire runs, but oh well, at this point I'm not redoing any of it. More pictures tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be firing it up too!

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, it's about time to get some ear plugs...

1500224314764.jpg

King Fan, peteb, robrob and 1 other person like this.

7. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Looks straight out of blackface era! A litte more tidy tho. Hope we get to hear this thing. Any future plans for that unused triode? Sorry if you have addressed that, I dont recall.
    Well done phryg!

Phrygian77 likes this.

8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Everything was going perfectly until I tried to probe the plate on this 6L6. Not sure what I did, maybe touched the adjacent heater pin. There was a flash of blue light, hum, a blown fuse, and a scorched socket. On to the damage assessment.

1500230275065.jpg

9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I pulled the 6L6, replaced the fuse, and fired her back up in standby. The good news is that I've got B+ and heaters.

robrob likes this.

10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    She sings!! She sings!!!! Good GOD that Express channel rips!!!! Tone controls are weird though. It sounds best with the treble almost all the way down.

peteb likes this.

11. Kev Reg

Kev Reg TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Scotland
    Congratulations on a very fine build! Hope you enjoy it!

Phrygian77 likes this.

12. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia
    +1

Nice job getting over that last hurdle. The final steps went really fast, probably because it was well put togethor.

Phrygian77 likes this.

13. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I still need to get a full set of voltages, and tweak the bias. I'm a little gun shy after what happened, but I should have used clips instead of the probes to begin with. Right now my plate voltage is 468 VDC and the cathode current is about 32 mA. I need to bump it up a little.

robrob likes this.

14. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Love the chassis shot. Your lead dress is totally killer.

Phrygian77 likes this.

15. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Thanks! It's pretty quiet. I'll post some more close up pictures. Hopefully this build thread will be helpful to anyone who wants to build something similar.

Next thing I need to do is try to clean the resistor that I created off the tube socket. I may end up replacing it, but that would be a real pain with all of the wiring that's in close proximity.

16. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    I agree, your chassis looks really nice.

Phrygian77 likes this.

17. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, the carbon track is pretty bad. I'm definitely going to replace the tube socket before I do anything else.

18. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I'm no expert, but I recall a build where everyone assumed a carbon track was a conductor for future arcs, until someone suggested it could just be cleaned off. It was someone we think of as knowledgeable (can't recall who -- they're so numerous here), but more to the point, it apparently worked.

As I say, I dunno. But if there's a way to avoid the hassle of socket replacement....

19. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yeah, I was on the fence about it, but the amp is working fine. I'm probably just going to take a small X-Acto and scrape the carbon off.

I A/B it tonight with my PRII, which is my main gigging amp, and I'm very happy with it.

King Fan likes this.

20. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Scraped and cleaned with alcohol...

1500514452476.jpg

As I was pulling and moving wires around while doing this, one of the heater feed wires to this socket broke loose. Better now than right before a gig a year from now.

After the repairs, I bumped the bias up slightly to about 56%. I'm going to take her to practice Friday night to see she how she performs.

robrob likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.