Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Phrygian77, Apr 9, 2017.
That looks great. Im loving the amount of room in the chassis to work round. Very spacious! Just the total opposite of a 5e3 haha.
Awww yea! Throw some heaters up in there! I can almost hear it now! Nice work
Log in or Sign up to hide this Ad.
Very well done
It looks good and it's gonna rock big time!!!!!
Got my NFB switch done, but one of my resistors is upside down. It's the only damn resistor in the whole amp that's not oriented right... lol. I'm also not happy with my shielded wire runs, but oh well, at this point I'm not redoing any of it. More pictures tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be firing it up too!
Well, it's about time to get some ear plugs...
Looks straight out of blackface era! A litte more tidy tho. Hope we get to hear this thing. Any future plans for that unused triode? Sorry if you have addressed that, I dont recall.
Well done phryg!
Everything was going perfectly until I tried to probe the plate on this 6L6. Not sure what I did, maybe touched the adjacent heater pin. There was a flash of blue light, hum, a blown fuse, and a scorched socket. On to the damage assessment.
I pulled the 6L6, replaced the fuse, and fired her back up in standby. The good news is that I've got B+ and heaters.
She sings!! She sings!!!! Good GOD that Express channel rips!!!! Tone controls are weird though. It sounds best with the treble almost all the way down.
Congratulations on a very fine build! Hope you enjoy it!
Nice job getting over that last hurdle. The final steps went really fast, probably because it was well put togethor.
I still need to get a full set of voltages, and tweak the bias. I'm a little gun shy after what happened, but I should have used clips instead of the probes to begin with. Right now my plate voltage is 468 VDC and the cathode current is about 32 mA. I need to bump it up a little.
Love the chassis shot. Your lead dress is totally killer.
Thanks! It's pretty quiet. I'll post some more close up pictures. Hopefully this build thread will be helpful to anyone who wants to build something similar.
Next thing I need to do is try to clean the resistor that I created off the tube socket. I may end up replacing it, but that would be a real pain with all of the wiring that's in close proximity.
I agree, your chassis looks really nice.
Well, the carbon track is pretty bad. I'm definitely going to replace the tube socket before I do anything else.
I'm no expert, but I recall a build where everyone assumed a carbon track was a conductor for future arcs, until someone suggested it could just be cleaned off. It was someone we think of as knowledgeable (can't recall who -- they're so numerous here), but more to the point, it apparently worked.
As I say, I dunno. But if there's a way to avoid the hassle of socket replacement....
Yeah, I was on the fence about it, but the amp is working fine. I'm probably just going to take a small X-Acto and scrape the carbon off.
I A/B it tonight with my PRII, which is my main gigging amp, and I'm very happy with it.
Scraped and cleaned with alcohol...
As I was pulling and moving wires around while doing this, one of the heater feed wires to this socket broke loose. Better now than right before a gig a year from now.
After the repairs, I bumped the bias up slightly to about 56%. I'm going to take her to practice Friday night to see she how she performs.