Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Black Line Silverface? What's teh deal?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noah330, Dec 5, 2017.

1. coldengray

coldengray Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I have this same amp but mine has the early SF circuit. Someone asked me the same “black line” question and I was clueless.

I’m cracking up at “blooze daddies”, mainly because I have a sneaking suspicion I am one! (No hat or pickguard initials)

gridlock likes this.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    So, you have an AB568...May, 1968....circuit in your VR?? Is the mixed biasing circuit still intact? The AB568 was the first "SF" circuit...albeit not the first circuit in an amp that had SF cosmetics. Just trying to make sure what 'early SF circuit' means in your situation.

3. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2014
    utah
    The early versions had the double green thread grill cloth and way more silver thread too.
    Great amps, I have been collecting them for 20 years.
    It's not just the black lines and the cloth wire.....it's the the double green thread grill too.

4. coldengray

coldengray Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Aesthetically my amp is the same; I have a drip edge, black line Vibrolux Reverb. Mine is from ‘69 and has the early Silverface circuit...balance pot and the added nonsense on the power tubes. The bass cap is .001

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM

5. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    No Blooze Daddy here. I'm a tree-hugging-former-hippie kid all growed up. I own no hats. I was told mine is a late 68. Drip edge, no black lines and sounds fantastic. You paid less than I. Congrats.

20170319_133531_001.jpg

6. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2010
    SCS, MI
    Yeah, I bought my '68 black-line VR back in 1980, and like you OP, made the best of the next decade or so slinging my '81 Flying V into an old dirt pedal then into the VR pretending it was a Marshall. Sometimes I would click off the dirt pedal and somewhat marvel at the beautiful cleans it tended to produce. Anyway, I've grown to kinda like it as the years have gone by. Guess I'll likely never get rid of it. Sounds like you probably won't, either. Thanks for sharing your story.

noah330 likes this.

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I had the same amp just sold recently. Basically a BF Vibrolux Reverb-Amp except for the faceplate and drip edge.

noah330 likes this.

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    No, but they might get a map... The OP seems to have plenty...

noah330 and BobbyZ like this.

9. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    Same here. Mine is a '68. Don't think it will be in the will though unless one of my daughters decides to become a guitar player. No hats or initials either...

10. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    That’s all Greek to me. I have no idea what you’re talking about lol!

11. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That post was in response to coldengray...but it is of interest to your thread here, imho....
    I posted my response as a question...,and then clarified that the first SF amps have BF circuits. May of 1968 saw the first circuits in SF amps that were different from the BF circuits used in Sf amps from April,1967 until the summer of 1968. Imho, one needs to know what amp they have. A good tech will help the owner know what is ther...and what changes might be made to improve things. Ex: that AB568 and the new circuits that were introduced over those summer months of 1968 have the mixed Biasing. That is a part of the circuit that needs change, imho....
    Fender reacted to the responses from users by eliminating that feature in all of their amps one year later.

telemnemonics and noah330 like this.

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Any year Vibrolux is a really great amp. Things started going south in mid 1980 when they added the pull boost. Just a non start feature but even those and up until 82, when they killed the original line, they were solid amps. The amp is half way between a Twin and the Deluxe. Hang on to that amp unless you are ready to pack it in guitar playing-wise.

noah330 likes this.

13. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks. I have no idea what AB568 is, though.

14. noah330 - what speakers are in your amp? Are they original? If you don't know a pic or two would let the group know.

15. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The AB568 schematic was drawn in My(5) of 1968(68). If you have a SF amp that was built earlier than that, it will have an earlier circuit. If you have an amp built with that AB568 circuit, the amp may still carry a tube chart from the BF era....they used things until there were no more.

The AB763 circuit was the second version(AB) of a schematic (AA) drawn in July(7) of 1963(63).
    These designations are indicated on the tube chart, but the tube chart in any certain amp may or may not be a representation of the circuit that is actually in the amp. There are amps from 1969 that have an AB763 tube chart while the circuit cannot possibly have been an AB763 circuit.
    I have owned a mint 5E3 Deluxe that had a Use chart for a 5F6A Bassman in it. I have had a blackline Dual Showman from 1968 that had an AB165 Bassman tube chart. So....one has to look at the particulars of a circuit and be able to decipher date codes on components to know what one actually has. If the tech doesn’t understand this, then the tech may not be very well versed in reading circuits. IMHO, it is necessary to know what circuit one has in front of oneself when working on an amp. If an owner knows a little bit, they can ascertain to some extent how familiar a tech is with the amp.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM

16. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    It has Fender speakers in it. I bought it in the 80s from the original owner. IiRC they say Fender on them.

I’ll look at the tube chart.

17. F
    FYI, Fender never made speakers, they outsourced them from company's like Jensen, Utah, CTS, etc. So yours could have speakers that are well sought after... (Jensen C10NS is an example)

Wally and telemnemonics like this.

18. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Again, I have no idea. I know it sounds really good and I have a lot of what corksniffers would probably be considered fancy boxes but in reality I buy what I think sounds good - less concerned about numbers, etc....

The speakers in it could be sought after or not but at the end of the day I'm not pulling them out to sell so it doesn't matter so much to me.

Wally likes this.

19. Agree, but its it good to know what you have? I pic of your speakers would tell what you have... or the codes if you can find them. I myself am curious.

Wally and noah330 like this.

20. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I can tell you one thing about those tube tickets inside. If you ever see this one snap it up - best sounding one you can find!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

buckwalder likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.