Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Black Korina Thinline Tele Build All Opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by zanesaddiction, Nov 11, 2012.

1. zanesaddiction

zanesaddiction Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2012
    South, GA
    Last night I was putting a coat of tru oil on and I realized I was being selfish by not turning this tele build into a thread. I have been using this forum for years and have never posted anything. I've been lazy and I'm sorry.....lol........ So here we go......

Warmoth Black Korina thinline straight out of the box!
    [​IMG]

Attempted Dipping some spare parts I had lying around in muriatic acid to see what reliced metal would look like against this very beautiful and busy wood. Seems cool. Overdid it on the bridge a little.
    [​IMG]

The neck is a warmoth fatback with a 1 3/4 width. Jumbo stainless steel frets. I realized that every big neck with big frets that I have picked up and played, I have loved. This neck is HUGE! I almost regret it. Almost.... It does take a little getting used to, but when I finally get used to it it'll feel like home. There's alot of room for your right hand to fingerpick or even flatpick.

Pau Ferro fretboard Goncalo Alves neck. Plays very fast. Doesn't require a finish , so it has that great bare wood feel.

SIDE NOTE: My girlfriend is a biology major with emphasis in plant sciences. When it arrived in the mail, I showed her the neck very excitedly and she asked me what the woods were. She googled them and asked me "Do you know where the woods come from?' I had no clue...sounded South American maybe ....."THE RAINFOREST, YOU IDOIT!"....she was pissed needless to say....so before I ordered the body I checked with her first and she said that the Black Korina was environmentally sustainable. So....the guitar's name has to be "THE VILLAGE KILLER"
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534117_10151237057848194_171027043_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

after my Lollar Charlie Christian Neck pup arrived I did a quick mockup. Dang! I had warmoth route a humbucker route b/c I thought I read somewhere on a forum it would fit. More routing needed I guess....
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll post pics of the body after 6 coats tru oil. My other two pickups will be arriving on Tuesday..... After finishing is complete........the pickguard...what material/color/etc.....help will be needed....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. bigeyedfish

bigeyedfish TDPRI Member

May 18, 2012
    Mid-MO
    Sweet mama jama! That body is killer!

3. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    That is some stunning wood!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful body. I can't wait to hear it when it's done. I've been gassing for those lollar CC pups.

6. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Nice. I'm a big fan of Limba/Korina. I've used it as a top twice and made 2 necks from it. Awesome stuff to work with.

7. zanesaddiction

Apr 11, 2012
    South, GA
    after 6 or 7 tru oil coats here we are. maybe I'll stop. Should I keep going? I took the lazy man's way out. No filler, tru-oil straight on. I hope that wasn't a mistake. Finding a tshirt or cloth that doesn't leave some kind fibers behind is impossible. I did have an idea.....what if i stained the inside of the f-hole? Maybe a red to highlight those red streaks in the wood. Opinions?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I guess it depends on what sort of look you're after whether you should stop applying Tru Oil or not. I lost count of how many coats went into mine before the grain was completely filled, but it was a lot.

9. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

10. zanesaddiction

Apr 11, 2012
    South, GA
    I popped up out of bed this morning realizing a possible mistake. Will finishing the guitar before drilling holes for pickguard and bridge be a mistake? I hope not. I just got too excited and didn't think it through.lol.

11. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    That body looks fantastic !!

12. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    Awesome piece of wood there!

13. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I like what you did not filling it. Finishing before drilling won't be a problem - all the holes will be covered by either the guard or the bridge.

14. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

It's a beautiful body. You said all opinions welcome, so here goes - I would love to have seen it with new hardware. That body does not scream, "Relic!" to me. That's it.

15. zanesaddiction

Apr 11, 2012
    South, GA
    You might be right. I "reliced" some spare parts, so I have new shiny ones to try too. I've been checking out some black korina veneers for the control plate and/or pickguard.

16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Wow! That is a stunningly gorgeous body, and I really like the relic'd hardward with it. Nice job

17. zanesaddiction

Apr 11, 2012
    South, GA
  18. zanesaddiction

Apr 11, 2012
    South, GA
    Angela 5-Way Strat Wiring Kit with Fralin Blender Pot arrived today. I drilled a third hole in the middle and screwed them in....it's a really tight squeeze. They won't fint in warmoth's control route. I tried rotating every which way. This is annoying. I ordered 2 cts mini pots in high hopes that will fit without having to route the hole.

[​IMG]

19. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
    Before you change pots, you could put a smaller bearing on a dishcutter bit, I used a 3/4" bit with a 1/2" bearing, and used it to widen the insides of my pickup cavities but it left the top opening in tact. I detailed it all in my 2012 build thread, that was also a black limba body coincidentally. Great build!

20. zanesaddiction

Apr 11, 2012
    South, GA
    got a link for your thread?

21. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.