Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Bit of a neck profile dilemma . . .

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dean, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

I'm struggling with finding the right neck for my Tele needs and figured maybe some of you might be able to help me (Mark, are you out there?). The neck profile that is my favorite and that works best for me is the one on my 1960 Martin D-18 - it's a fairly pronounced V-shape that just drops into my hand perfectly. The closest electric guitar neck shape that I've found is a Classic 50's Strat (soft V, 7.25 radius) - I love that neck. The only problem is that it's not a Tele, and it doesn't sound as nice as my Tele. But I find myself grabbing it just because it feels so nice. It just doesn't sound as good.

Now, after reading comments here, I decided to get a Tele that would equal the 50s Strat, so I found a great deal on a blonde Baja Tele - they're supposed to have a soft-V neck too, so I figured it would be similar to the Strat. No way! The Baja neck, while pretty sweet, is much more C-shaped and it's a 9.5 radius (I knew that, but I didn't realize it would make such a difference). I love the sound of the Baja Tele as well as the overall feel of the Tele (been playing them for years), but I really like the neck on the Strat.

So, my question is, is there a Tele model that has the V-neck and a 7.25 radius that is similar to the Classic 50s Strat, or am I going to have to have a neck made for me? I really would like to keep things all Fender, But if I can't find a real V-neck Tel, I might have to go that direction.

Any suggestions?

2. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I'm familiar with those old Martin hard V neck shapes and I don't think you'll find that exact shape with any typical Tele models/eras. Lots of Tele necks in the 50s had a V shape, but I've not encountered one that is as sharp as the Martins. A trend that I think started off with mild V near the nut blending into large C at the 12th around 53/54 and culminating in the 56/57 boat necks. I don't know what model might be closest to the neck you are describing, but I think you're on the right track. Try out anything based on 1956 or 1957. Fender even uses a 10/56 shape as a model for V necks. (I have an 11/56 Esquire neck that is definitely a V shape.)
  3. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Meister

Jul 20, 2011

This is a another perfect example of what I have been ranting for few days in other thread (and in real life, I have been ranting about this for 15 years).

Fender NEEDS to make more accurate and consistent neck shape/profile descriptions!!!

Sorry if this was too offtopic...
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I don't know of any current stock Tele with a Soft "V" and the 7.25" radius you want. The Baja is a Soft "V" and I have a Nocaster conversion of a Nashville Deluxe with a Soft "V" but both have a 9.5" radius. I guess if you want to stick with Fender produced products you'd have to order a Tele with that 50's Strat neck profile on a Tele neck.

They can do it. I don't like the "U" necks so I have a CS Soft "V" on my CS Nocaster. Or I guess you have the option of ordering one from another vendor and simply selling the stock neck after you replace it to offset the costs.
  6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    The older (1998-2002) Classic Series 50s Teles had a V neck and 7.25" radius, before they changed the shape to the now common 'C'. These can easily be identified by the fact the spaghetti Fender logo looks wrong! (before they corrected it!).

7. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

I agree with puuma:
    Both my guitars are described as having the same "Soft 'V' Shape" by Fender, yet the Baja Tele has a shape that is more like my old '52 RI - pretty round and chunky. It's close, but not quite where I'd like it.

Thanks for the ideas so far, I'll check on the suggested guitars and see what I can come up with.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Dean, to get a neck like that you're gonna hafta go to USACG or some other custom fabricator... it's that simple..

ron Kirn
  9. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Dec 26, 2010
    Fhvn ma
    Next stop: warmoth.

Or bust out the sand paper and rasps. Don't be afraid to make expensive sawdust.
  10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    ya might want to try USACG Tommy is a bit more accommodating should you want something that's a little off the grid..

11. dayold

dayold Former Member

Jun 18, 2010
    st louis
    yup the MIJ 1996 "50's" tele had that V also. Hard to find them now days. I had a Harmony from the 50's that had a nice V too.

Too bad Fender doesn't make accurate reissues...they make everything else, and it seems like all the new guitars all feel the same.
  12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    If you're on a budget, check out the Allparts TMNF-V or TMO-V. Specs look to be close to what you want.
  13. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

Thanks everyone! I've had Tommy at USACG make a couple neck for me in the past, and that's likely where I'll turn. Another option might be to find a big U-neck and literally shape it myself.

Thanks again for the ideas - I'll keep looking.

14. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    So does my 1996 tl52. LOVELY neck. Thick. Pronounced V shape. I really like the feel of that neck.

In fact, I want to find one or two more just like it.
  15. dayold

dayold Former Member

Jun 18, 2010
    st louis
    why was 1996 such a good year for the MIJ guitars?
  16. Telepickens

Telepickens TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yep. I have one of these coming to me as I type.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.