Bison burgers, anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

There's a reason beef is still the standard for burgers - besides being cheap and plentiful.

The gross greasy drippy fat content of beef just makes it better..

Greggorios and DrPepper like this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Taste like chicken? lol
    I am hesitant. I dislike gamey.
    However, I do like turkey burg for some reason.

Greg_L likes this.
  3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Pheasant and rabbit are phenomenal.

I grew up poor white trash. My dad was a hunter. So I can add the following...

Squirrel
    Raccoon
    Groundhog
    The meanest snapping river turtles you’ve ever seen

I was a picky, picky little scrawny kid. I didn’t want to eat any of that stuff. My parents always encouraged me to at least try it. I’m glad they did so, because I now consider those experiences a part of my cultural heritage. My father’s family was in Appalachia before there was a United States. My mountain roots run deep.

Further, I thank my parents for making me the adventurous foodie I am today.

For the record, none of the four I mentioned is very good. But the most noxious thing I’ve ever put in my mouth, and this was maybe five years ago, was chitlins. Never again.

RE bison: a couple of Louisville restaurants I frequented offered bison. Hammerhead’s bison burger was top shelf. And I’d encourage anyone lucky enough to try El Mundo to order the nachos with bison.

Lawdawg and uriah1 like this.
  4. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

Bison burgers are great, a little richer than beef (not gamey). You'll want something to go on it, like cheese, BBQ sauce, salsa, guacamole, etc

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Needs more fat for flavor. Plus, the bison I ate had a gamy flavor as well.

If I am going to put any amount of sat fat in my body, it better taste good.

Greg_L likes this.
  6. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Too lean. 80/20 ground beef for burgers.

Greg_L likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Had it when I lived in CO. Good stuff.

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

When does a hamburger cease to being a hamburger and become a boutique sandwich?

Greg_L likes this.
  9. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yup. And with bison, if you have to add a ton of things just to make it worth eating, is it really that good to begin with?

10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Bison meat is so lean, they actually recommend that you add some fat to it when you grind it up. I had a burger years ago, 1979/80, on a trip to South Dakota with the wife. It was the driest burger I ever had the displeasure to eat. Didn't taste bad, just stuck in the throat.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  11. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

It makes excellent fajitas.

12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

I've had it many times -- mostly at Ted's but some other places as well. I quite like the flavor and never found it to be overly gamey; as flavor profiles go it's still pretty close to beef. It is definitely leaner and drier than beef. While I do like it, I don't have any real urge to cook with it at home.

Like you I am an adventurous eater, I'll try anything at least once. I've tried chitlins enthusiastically a couple of times figuring I would like them since I like eating every part of the pig 'cept the oink. WRONG! Unfortunately they taste just like what they are . . . :eek:

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep...

It beats Reindeer

14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had lots and lots of Bison for 10-15 years.

I would say the worst way to have it is an expensive steak in a restaurant, but then I generally think expensive steak houses are a ripoff for beef too. It seems they charge a premium for Bison though, and then they go cook it like it's beef and it's not worth the money.

The thing with Bison is it seems there is a lot of disagreement on the best way to cook it. When I grill it at home and go looking for a reminder of how to cook it I always notice lots of conflicting advice.

If it's coming out dry and tough I think you are probably cooking it too long and/or at too high of a temperature. It likes to be cooked more like pork or chicken. Which is admittedly weird for burgers.

15. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I prefer my hamburgers to have mooed in their past life.

Greg_L likes this.
  16. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Aw yeah! Place near the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma (near Lawton) called Meers has a place that makes really great bison burgers.

When I lived in Wyoming they had them on the menu at Dennys.

In Oklahoma I used to see bison meat at stores quite often. It's leaner than beef. When I made burgers from it I usually mixed in a bit of hamburger to make them more juicy.

17. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I like my Buffalo in the form of chicken wings.

beach bob likes this.
  18. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

If you go to some joint and you liked their bison burgers, I suspect that they might just have added pork fat to the bison meat to make it more palatable. I had a friend who was an avid hunter, he always had deer meat laid away. He'd make Bambi burgers and he would add pork fat to the very lean deer meat... they were excellent. Plus for added bonus, we got to tease her niece at the barbecue, who was an evolving vegetarian; she was horrified. All in good fun!
    :lol:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a friend that raises buffalo locally and the local meat processor has it available daily. I enjoy the flavor, but it is very difficult not to overlook on the grill. My trick is very thin patties and remove before they turn the slightest brown, but really pan grilling is easier. I had some with fatty bear meat ground in that was the best burger ever. I'm used to eating elk and venison, so beef seems kinda bland to me.

For those who don't care for the dryness of buffalo, you could always throw some ... wait for it ... bacon on it.:D

beach bob likes this.
  20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Eat it all the time. Bison is available in all the grocery stores here. Less fatty than beef, with a slightly sweeter flavor. Makes great burgers if you allow for the reduced fat. I usually mix in some finely chopped sweet onion, a little Worcestershire or other steak sauce and some softened butter. Steaks and roasts need nothing added that you wouldn't use on beef.

I can and do buy elk and venison at the butcher shop around the corner. Heavenly. I have also on more than one occasion had ostrich burgers, alligator steaks and spit roasted rattlesnake. Occasionally, emu is available but, as yet, I haven't tried it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.