Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Billy Corgan Fender Stratocaster Worth it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by johnnytuinals, Mar 22, 2013.

1. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Tele-Meister

I really have NO clue on this guitar but the price seems fair $749 NEW?
    Is this a American Strat?It seems that this strat comes with a Guitar bag and not a case?
    I would like to get one since they have 10 in stock but thinking that it might be a referb with that case since all the others have a hardshell case.............JT.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stan...W-/130716006229?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6f47f755

Updated
    I think its a Fake MIM
    but BestBuy has them for less then $850 when added to the shopping cart
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fender&...399788675&skuId=8883005&strId=310&strClr=true

2. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

The Corgan strat is a hardtail Highway One with hotrod dual blade pickups. I remember seeing one at Best Buy at a blowout price a year or so ago and passed on it although it was a bit appealing. The list price is silly, but for 850 it's not a bad deal if you want the hot pickups that are on it.

George

3. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Read somewhere Billy Corgan used a AVRI 57 Strat mostly.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

The Billy Corgan is also the only hardtail Fender has been making in recent years...

6. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

The Robert Cray strat is a hardtail, as is the Wayne Kramer replica. Both of these are MIM guitars. (There is also a custom shop Cray I think.) But yeah, the Corgan is the only "medium" priced strat hardtail.

I know this because a hardtail strat is on my "bucket list" somewhere...

George

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

He did on Gish and Siamese Dream, but I believe the p'ups were switched out for some sort of high-powered DiMarzio's. Or, was it Lace Sensors???

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Here is the Strat in question:

[​IMG]

Looks like he had late '60s/early '70s Strat, as well:

[​IMG]

9. weatherking

weatherking TDPRI Member

Here's a gear run down interview with Billy. He goes through some of his guitars around the 9 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/_eVH5vUR8u8

10. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I tried one out last year and liked .The nitro finish isnt very well applied .I thinks its basically Highway 1 .It sounded good, the Dimarzios were hot but still stratty .In fact I would mind a set in my project strat .When I was noodling in the store a couple of people seemed to like how it sounded and stood around listening and chatted to me .I was playing sort of bluesy Mark Knofler noodlings,finger style , so there is more than just a hot strat in the tone .I was playing through a Cube .It has Jumbo frets which isnt my first choice .I also played an American Special . Not sure which one I preferred .

11. Zillinois

Doh, remind not to post on Friday nights after happy hour.

12. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

But that's when it's the most fun to post unless you bring a hot woman home with you :grin: No problem--hardtail strats are all but invisible these days, and someday I shall own one although I LOVE my EJ strat with the trem decked and 5 springs. I've been decking/blocking strat trems since my first one in 1968.

George

13. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

When I clicked the E-Bay link went to an American Standard with Billy Corgan pickups. It also has a trem. Not sure if this was the guitar you were looking at

14. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I thought when the BC gtr came out it was USA

??

15. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

The official Corgan model is USA made--it is like a hardtail Highway One with the hot pickups, a 70's headstock, and the Dimarzio pickup set. List price was $1499 which IMO was a bit high, but I remember seeing one on a blowout sale for $800ish, and someone mentioned one at Best Buy for about the same price currently.

When people say "Billy Corgan" on in their Ebay descriptions, this doesn't indicated an actual BC model Fender.

George

16. Zillinois

I had to part with two that I had, but still kept "Smokie", as well, the resale value plummeted on this particular one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.