Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bill Lawrence 5-way wiring adapted to 4-way?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by kLyon, Sep 28, 2017.

1. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    I wired a new Tele build with a 4-switch only to find out, once again, that I hate the sound of series: it's louder, sure, but the sound just doesn't appeal to me.
    I know that the 5-way wiring has HOoP, as well as neck pickup with 10% less bass.
    Question for the wiring gurus:
    Is it possible to get the small cap and turn a 4-way switch into neck, neck and bridge in parallel, neck and pickup HOoP, and bridge?
    (The order can be different, if necessary...)
    It's probably a simple question, but this morning I can't wrap my sleepy head around the logic.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. ChristoMephisto

ChristoMephisto TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Would think you'd need a 5 way super switch just for the extra poles so you could reverse phase the neck pup.
    If you wanna stick with the 4 way, you could add a phase switch with a cap to get you the HOOP and 10% less bass tones when in parallel and neck only. As for the forth sound maybe a cocked wah tone for the bridge.

3. kLyon

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Thanks!
    I was just curious if I could do it with just the 4-way. Not a big deal.

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I have a 5 way with the bill Lawrence mod in it, I really don't like the 5th position, the neck with 10% less bass. I never select it. I do like the half out of phase thing, but I am about to go back to a 3 way or better yet a 4 way with series. I like the series for distortion tones that are a little less brash. I have what's effectively a duosonic set up on a 3 way with series, parallel, bridge switching.

I agree with the above, use the 4 way and add a cocked wah selection.

5. kLyon

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    The half out of phase thing is what I want, instead of the series.
    So the 10% less bass position on the 5 way isn't useful for you?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.