Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bill Frisell + Duct Tape

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by geetarLAXjunkie, May 23, 2018.

1. geetarLAXjunkie

geetarLAXjunkie TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    KC
    My favorite strummer duct tapes two Pedaltrain Mini's togethor.

Music Is_Pedalboard.jpg

Above is Bill's rig from his most recent release "Music Is." In the photo below (his setup in 2014) you can see thin pieces of wood (possibly paint stir sticks) taped to both sides of the Mini's.

Bill Frisell_Premier Guitar.jpg

Now, someone please explain to me how this is practical for a touring musician (as in, is he breaking down the boards every night?).

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    DaphneBlue and Ben-Zion like this.
  2. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    OBVIOUSLY...

He is using tone wood.

Ben-Zion and Shango66 like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Yeah, well, pay attention to the DIRECTION each tonewood "paint-stick" is pointed.
    :rolleyes:

Modman68 likes this.
  4. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    DIRECTIONAL Tone Wood!!!!!

Gentlemen, the bar has been raised!

Modman68 likes this.
  5. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Bill Frisell has stated before that he doesn't get paid enough to have roadies. He breaks down and sets up his stuff himself.

6. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Just a guess, but it occurs to me that separated, the whole deal would fit nicely into a carry-on bag. Hinges and a latch might be more elegant, but maybe he’s not the handy type.

geetarLAXjunkie likes this.
  7. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Other than the fact that duct tape is durable cheap and practical please rest assured that he doesn't use duct tape at home. Have a look at this video and relax.

8. geetarLAXjunkie

Sep 4, 2017
    KC
    Correct, but that doesn't justify two Pedaltrain Mini's over one Pedaltrain Jr.

JL_LI likes this.
  9. geetarLAXjunkie

Sep 4, 2017
    KC
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Here's a cell-phone shot of Bill's rig 6 weeks ago in KC.

Bill Frisell_April 8th.jpg

Notice that it's the same setup, except this time Velcro'd to a thin piece of plastic (I'm guessing kitchen cutting board...I saw Mark Lettieri do exactly this a few months back), and subbing an 808 mini for the TS9 in order for everything to fit. It makes even more sense for the carry-on bag idea!

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
  11. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Know anything about the guitar in that video? Way more interesting to me than his pedal board.

12. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    It was made by ex fender custom shop builder J.W. Black, this has a Lollar mini-humbucker in neck position and Lollar P-90 in the bridge. It was painted by Terry Turrell. Same guy who built hi black tele with the bigsby.
    BILL_FRISELL_02.jpg

Here's a link sans ducttape to a bunch of his guitars

https://www.vintageguitar.com/21303/bill-frisell-3/

chemobrain and Jsil13 like this.
  13. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Cool, thanks. I must have seen that a while back, I remember the Rick Kelly guitar with the Lollar Charlie Christian pickups.

14. ChalmersCharles

ChalmersCharles Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Borneo
    Only five pedals, and one of them is a Metal Muff!

I love Frisell!

15. reingarnichts

reingarnichts TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Germany

I have about 2-5 rehearsels/gigs per week in different places with different instruments and pedal configurations so my setup is continously changing throughout the week.
    Currently I'm using a cheap EHX Pedal Bag and this has been working quite well for the last 3(?) years, so I think this is proof enough, that you don't need a flightcase and a roadie just because you play a lot in different locations. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.