Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bigsby Palm Bender on my Tele

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by sangandongo, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sangandongo

sangandongo TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I thought I'd share these pics. This is the first guitar I bought on my own, with my own money. I've had it since '94 and it's undergone many changes over the years (though no routing). This is probably how it's going to stay from now on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I retrofitted a Bigsby B5 to use the hardware from my BP-12. Before that, I changed the B-12 to work on a B-7 so I could install it on my Gold Top without modifying the guitar.

Just for fun, here's what it looked like on the '71 GT.

[​IMG]

And subsequently on another '71...

[​IMG]

2. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

Nov 22, 2012
    somewhereville
    ...nice hot roddin' with the bender

3. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    As a forty year BPP user...........

and current owner of 9 BPP equipped guitars, if I had that rig, I'd stagger the height(s) of the levers putting the B string lever higher than the G. that way it'd be easier to operate and then you can just slip the side of your hand under it to operate the G lever. Also you can remove the lever(s) and stick 'em in a vice and bend them a little to get some more separation if you want to............JH in Va.

4. sangandongo

sangandongo TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Jim, I plan to, but it will require some more modification on the rear because of the angle of the string with relation to the body. I am going to have to put some sort of plate which is raised under the tail end of the arms that that they rest at a more flat angle to the cross bar.

Thanks for the advice, I came up with a way to do it over the weekend, I just need to find the right stuff to get it done. This guitar is going to look like some crazy machine after I'm done.

"This machine bends facists." :)

5. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Why in th **** doesn't Bigsby make some more of these. No they won't make a huge profit off of them but I'm sure that they can do it in a way to come out ahead. It would also be good advertising for Bigsbys as well. "Look kids! You can put one of these on our tailpieces too!"

6. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    DFW, TX
    Not to totally hijack this thread, but when did Lace start making a tele bridge Allumitone pickup and where can I find one?

Back to your original thread. That is a good looking guitar. Enjoy.

Sent from my Galaxy 500 using TDPRI

7. sangandongo

sangandongo TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    It does not. I made it fit though. I cut two slices for the dog ears into the body of the guitar, essentially at the height i wanted the pickup. I slide one dog ear in then pushed down and popped the other one in on the other side. By putting the bridge down over it, the pickup is pressed hard against the wood and does not move at all.

These pickups make the telecaster sound more "Tele" than anything I've ever put into the guitar. I've had them in there for four years or so and love how they sound.

I also, as you can see, flipped the controls for better volume access and put a 5 way switch and added various caps in for different tones. Middle position on the switch is bridge.

8. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    DFW, TX
    Nice work. I have those in my strat and I love them. They bring out the best in any guitar.

Sent from my Galaxy 500 using TDPRI

9. gumbo

gumbo Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2006
    South Australia
    'Some sort of plate....'
    ...you can just get longer set screws... ;)

'This guitar is going to look like some crazy machine after I'm done. '

...been there, done that..:lol:

10. gumbo

gumbo Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2006
    South Australia

.....because, sadly, it IS all about profit..
    ....and because profit is all about sales....
    ....and Bigsby probably have bigger fish to fry...:(

....often wonder who still holds the die for those extruded arms, now that Dan's no longer with us..... (any ideas, Jerry??) everything else you can make with a small lathe and a hacksaw..:eek:

11. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

:(:cry:

12. sangandongo

sangandongo TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Well, for what it's worth, the holes in '70s Gibson Mini-Humbucker mounting bar are exactly the same distance from one another as those at the tail end of a Bigsby B5. I just put that under the bar ends and over the Bigsby and screwed it back down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Knobby

Knobby TDPRI Member

May 20, 2003
    Portland Oregon
    Fantastic!

I like the innovation.

14. billybling

billybling TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Oceanside
    I love that Tele. Can't stop looking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.