Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Bigsby and Tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Throttleneck, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Hi Folks,

I was watching youtube videos on Bigsby installation and found the one below. The person says, and seems to demonstrate, that you get an improvement in tone after installing the Bigsby on a telecaster. Is this your experience or is this just a fluke?

Thoughts?

TIA

2. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted

not for me. i have installed two and found virtually no difference in tone

3. portugal

portugal Tele-Meister

I can't tell the difference.

In theory it adds more mass which adds more tones, but I couldn't tell!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

That video is not just some random music store guy or guitar reviewer. This is an instructional video made by Bigsby. For some reason, "improved tone" is a big part of the marketing for Bigsby tailpieces.

In my experience, it's about as much difference as you would expect from hanging about a half-pound of steel on the butt of your guitar. In other words, almost none.

The bridge-to-nut scale length is the same and therefore so is the string tension when it's in tune. If you're one of those people who thinks they can hear a difference between top-mounts and string-through bridges, then you'll probably think you can hear a difference with a Bigsby... But I bet you'd fail in a double-blind listening test.

The guy in the video is chicken pickin' a country riff in the beginning. Then at the end he plays strumming riff with a pick and expects you to hear how much the Bigsby has changed the tone. All that actually changed was his playing style.

I LOVE the subtle vibrato that a Bigsby enables, but when it comes to improving your "tone", it's snake-oil.

6. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

I'd say it slightly decreases sustain and makes for an almost imperceptibly less aggressive attack. The difference is small enough to be in my imagination, ignored, or both. A subtle wiggle of the Bigsby, however, will keep the guitar sustaining for days.

It's not a tonal difference, but it is a difference in sound. I hate the word "tone" when applied to guitar sounds. Overused and virtually meaningless. Yuck.

I think it's supposed to be a synonym for timbre, but with the way it's randomly tossed around, there's no way to be sure.

7. Ati EDGE

Ati EDGE Tele-Meister

The guitar sound changes minimal after installing the bigsby.... but the Bigsby must be good quality:cool:

8. LiamDalmon

LiamDalmon Tele-Holic

MN punk
    Would you care to expand on this please?

9. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Just find a Bigsbied Tele and try it out. If you are so in love with your current tele and don't want to change the tone, don't mess with it. Buy another tele with a bigsby.

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

There is a significant difference when a Bigsby is installed on a hollow body because it alters the tension on the belly. On a solid body the only real difference is there is a certain springiness to the strings, hardly surprising as they're now connected to a spring.

11. Mr. Esquire

Mr. Esquire Tele-Meister

When you put the Jazzmaster bridge flush on the bridge plate, it increases sustain quite a bit. I always felt like the Bigsby kit with the boards.ie mods made my Esquire sound a little more rock 'n roll. I concede that the attack might be less than with a traditional bridge . . . but I can handle that. A Bigsby'd Tele still sounds a helluva lot better than a Strat. :twisted:

12. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

I cut the plain lip of the JM-style bridge and turned it around so that the intonation screws face the neck. Easier to intonate and the strings only touch the saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.