Biggest Tele neck made

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jackroadkill, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I like a chunky neck; my favourite ever neck is that on my '58 LP Junior which is like a railway sleeper. It's so big that the first time I played it I thought it would be so fat that I'd never get used to it (happily I was wrong).

I have a plan for my next Tele build and want to fit the biggest, preferably U-shaped, neck that I can find. In your experience what neck is the biggest I can get hold of? I'm in the UK so would rather not import if I can help it, but that's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

Thanks,

JRK

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

I think USACG May still make the J.W. Holmes profile. It’s like 1 1/4” iirc

Slowisfast and Jackroadkill like this.
  3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Can't speak for across the pond, but my most colossal neck is from a company in Tennessee named Guitar Mill. The profile is called the "basball bat" and it's over 1" from the nut all the way to the heel. You can't bend it for a subtle vibrato. You have to use the headstock and even then it's minimal. I love it!

Jackroadkill likes this.
  4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Being in the UK, you may have to settle for something like the Allparts TMO-FAT. Axecaster may be a good starting point.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My first "good" electric was a 1960 Les Paul Jr that I bought in 1969, and nearly every guitar I played after that came up "lacking" in neck girth. About three years ago I ordered my current neck from Warmoth. It is a "fatback" profile (1" depth from nut to heel) 1 11/16" width at nut (like my Jr) and 24 3/4" scale length. (like a typical Gibson) BTW, it's mahogany, with a rosewood fretboard.....also like a Gibson. It is so comfortable, I prefer not to play any other guitar, now. That's it in my avatar. If you can't find what you want in the UK, consider Warmoth! Good luck.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere and Jackroadkill like this.
  7. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill TDPRI Member

Thanks guys; much appreciated. I'll look at the options mentioned.

8. pippoman

pippoman TDPRI Member

I’ve had a Richie Kotzen Tele for about a year and the neck is beefy in a perfect way. Thickest Tele neck I’ve ever played and I absolutely love it! I didn’t think I’d like it at first, but boy was I wrong! After playing it for about 20 minutes in the guitar store I had bonded for life. The frets are Jumbo, not medium jumbo and slide work is a cinch on that thing. Not sure of the neck radius but it’s at least a 9.5”. I have a couple nice Strat pluses from the early 90s and 2 other teles, but this one has them all beat. I take it to every gig and only play my Strats on songs that tend to require that honk and a vibrato.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. pippoman

pippoman TDPRI Member

It’s a 12” radius, not 9.5. That’s why slide work is so easy.

10. Slowisfast

Slowisfast Tele-Meister

I have a USACG Boat profile. It's 1". Not as hefty as the Holmes but it has a nice soft v to it with rounded shoulders. I love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.