Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Big Muff volume too low in band setting

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mobkon, Dec 12, 2011.

1. mobkon

mobkon TDPRI Member

hey all! I have a Big Muff Wicker (the newest muff) on my pedal board. This thing sounds great, only issue is it isn't loud enough in my band setting. It seems once you start turning the knob past noon, it doesn't actually raise the volume, it just gets worse and worse sounding. I know theres some limit as to how loud the Big Muffs go...but is there a solution to boosting the volume so I can use this in my band? My first thought would be a Boss GE-7 to boost the volume when the muff is engaged. Would this work?

We're a rock band...we play loud, so turning down isn't an option as we play to match the drums and our band room is small. :)

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the World Of Big Muffs! Ha. :D The volume problem is pretty common. That is why you often see guys like Gilmour using an Overdrive (Colorsound, Cornish, etc) behind his Muff for a volume boost. An EQ can also do the job, but you will want to make sure that it has a low noise floor for obvious reasons.

3. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

The thing to remember is that distortion and fuzz will make your sound "wash out" and get lost in the mix. You need a boost in volume to go along with it; it won't work as planned at a unity gain level.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

This is why I like the Big Muff Bass - it has an option called 'dry' setting where the volume knob acts like a mix setting instead so you keep your original signal and dial in the amount of fuzz you want without losing the original signal/volume. Sounds great on bass and guitar.

6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Muff=lost in the mix. Sell it, pick up a fuzz face, or a swollen pickle. Something that'll cut through.

7. redriding

redriding Tele-Meister

I struggled with regular muffs for ages too in band situations.
    Get a way huge swollen pickle mk2.
    Seriously muffy,loads of volume on tap,you can cut or boost the mids and alter the compression settings.
    Cuts through a band like a knife with the mids up...
    Job done

8. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

A lot of fuzz pedals aren't loud enough without a booster in a live setting behind it. I use a boost pedal behind it actually I use a tech 21 para drive behind it because it's an eq and booster in one! I turn on and off both fuzz and booster together with a looper pedal.

A lot of mid scoop in a standard muff. Some have more mid range. I don't know enough about big muffs to fully explain. (That sounds kinda funny).

So I would recommend a boost pedal behind it. Anyone pedal will do though I love being able to shape the fuzz if needed,(maybe cut a little treble maybe add a little mid range, ect), with my para driver. ;)

Edit: You can find a louder fuzz pedal but a booster is great to have. I also use the boost pedal after my overdrive and so the booster for me is not being used a one trick pony. I also use the booster by itself to boost amp.

9. redriding

redriding Tele-Meister

Alternatively a booster in front of a muff sharpens the attack of the fuzz.I run a way huge angry troll into the swollen pickle (both switched via a T/B looper simultaneously)
    I run the boost pretty high and the fuzz levels low and control the overall level from the pickles level control.Et voila massive chugging stoner tones with a razor sharp attack that cut through the rest of the band. : )

10. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

As mentioned several times above, the 'muff' can have issues cutting through a band.
    There's more than one reason for this that I'm not gonna get into here.
    I've gone the boutique route for my EH fuzz tones.
    This one's based on the classic Rams Head Muff ... http://www.macdaddymusicstore.com/servlet/the-864/BMF-Effects-Aries-Fuzz/Detail great tone and no prob with cut.
    Here's another (AC only though, no battery - it's a 'green' thing) ... http://fuzzhugger.com/pedal-algal-bloom.html

I use both and have for a few years now with no problems in a band setting.

11. insombob

insombob Tele-Meister

i used to use a tube screamer as my o/d pedal. that into the big muff used to be awesome as the midrange honk made the muff cut through and huge. ceased using a pedal for o/d (use a hotplate) and had a clone built of my other fave fuzz, the foxx tone machine adding a midrange boost. that helps.

12. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Friend of Leo's

If you can rig some kinda EQ pedal to click on at the same time as your Big Muff, that might work. Push the mids on the EQ. You might be able to find a true-bypass loop pedal, but them both in the loop, then step the loop on and off. Sometimes that works for me, but sometimes I get a loud POP when i step on it... depends on the pedals and the levels set.

13. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

By themselves, Big Muffs are very delicate in band mixes. I use an EQ pedal directly after my Big Muff to deal with things like this. If I need more volume or mids, the pedal is what I turn to. It works well for me. The EQ pedal also comes in handy for many other situations. They're very handy tools.

14. Jalpow

Jalpow Tele-Meister

Cant you flick the switch to bypass the tone control? That gives me a boost in volume and mids.

15. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about... My big muff NYC RI is HUGE loud. In fact, I have to turn the volume down and we play pretty loud. I have no boost or anything and play through my amp's clean channel. I dunno...

anyone else?

A

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.