Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Big Muff Style Fuzz, help me decide

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burnsbert, May 7, 2017.

1. burnsbert

burnsbert Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I'm about to buy a Big Muff style fuzz for Pink Floyd and Black Keys types of tones. After watching a million demos on YouTube, I've narrowed it down to Mojo Hand Fx Iron Bell and Mojo Hand Fx BMP-1 (or -2).

Does anyone have any advice based on direct experience with these pedals? Is there another one I should consider instead?

Thanks!

2. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    Of those two, the Iron Bell will be more useful for you, imo.
    The Vick Audio 73 Rams Head (or Violet Rams Head) are worthy of consideration as well. I tried several different muffs, including the Iron Bell and BMP-1, and ultimately ended up with an EHX Nano Muff and a Vick 73. I had Vick change the gain pot on mine to an audio taper to give me better control in the lower range of the pot (pre-noon).
    So many great muff variations out there though. Skreddy makes awesome ones, too. The P19 is one I definitely want to acquire.
    Not a muff, but the Vick Overdriver is tops as well and will definitely add to the Floyd flavor (but does a lot more than that). Caveat being that it really is best at 18v in my opinion.

Rich_S likes this.

3. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Sovtek-sounding ones are most versatile ime. If you want gilmour sounds just max the sustain and don't go past 12 on the tone. For gritty black keys sounds back the sustain down a tad and bump the tone up to 2/3 o'clock. Always be loud.

basher likes this.

4. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Just get a full-size Big Muff. Great pedal.

basher likes this.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, the BYOC Large Beaver is a good 'un. IMHO, a midrange control is a must on a Muff- it makes the pedal a LOT more useful.

6. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    All the big muff versions are variations on a theme. Any one of them is going to sound like a big muff. If you haven't played through one before, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a regular old EHX one to explore before you start shelling out for boutique versions.

7. RoyBGood

^ Indeed. Why pay more than the real thing costs for something that's 'like' the real thing. :confused:

8. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    Because perhaps the "real thing" doesn't always sound the "best" to everyone?
    The current EHX muffs (the standard ones) are not the same circuit variations that were used in the 60s/70s. They sound different. I like the sound of my newer EHX muff, but it has a VERY different character to my ears than my Vick 73. The clones that exist for the muff are primarily based exclusively on, or are variations of circuit configurations NOT being used by EHX anymore. Many of these clones also have modifications related to control over midrange frequencies.
    The point is that your statement implies that there is no significant difference between the current EHX muffs and most muff clones. This is simply not the case, objectively speaking. Now, tone preferences, being subjective are different - if the current EHX muff offerings are what you prefer, then it is what you prefer. But don't be so dismissive of the alternatives because of preconceived notions about what they actually are. You should try playing through and comparing a couple of different non-EHX muff style fuzzes to an EHX one you like; might give you a new perspective.

BBill64, SolidSteak and RoyBGood like this.

9. RoyBGood

:( That told me, eh?

Southpaw Tele and Staypuft1652 like this.

10. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Hard to go wrong the current gen EHX nano big muff. It's cheap, small and does what it does.

None of this is going to matter until you put it into your setup though. Fuzz is 100% system dependent.

RoyBGood and basher like this.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    The old green or black Russian Big Muffs have that mid-heavy Dan Auerbach type of fuzz sound that cuts through and not the bassier, mid-scooped Billy Corgan type of fuzz sound (get a newer silver and black box Big Muff for that.) There are more iterations of the Big Muff than many other types of pedal: http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

I've never played either of those Mojo Hand pedals though, so I don't know what they sound like. Sorry! (The Iron Bell looks like it might be pretty versatile with that 4th knob though....)

basher likes this.

12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I still want this puppy!

13. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    This is my favourite suggestion.

Ricky D. likes this.

14. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Here my DIY Ram's Head clone:

Mutant_Fuzz_kl.jpg

15. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Update to this thread - the new EHX Green Russian muff apparently sounds really good. I'd go for that over another EHX version.

That said, small builders still produce a better quality, more robust unit than EHX do.

16. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I have the cheap Moen Fuzz Moo which is supposed to be a Ram's head clone, I believe. I like it better in the context of a band where as the newer EHX ones sound better to me when I'm playing alone at home. There's more bass in the EHX and more mids in the Fuzz Moo.

17. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Of course, playing at church, there's not a lot of fuzz going on, sadly.

mnutz likes this.

18. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    when it comes to most things muff, it is hard to find better than stompunderfoot

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I know Gilmour didn't use this version, and The guy from Smashing Pumpkins is more known for using it, but the Op Amp muff is pretty great, with some tweaks. It has more of an overdrive flavor, but can still get into that fuzz territory with the sustain turned up.

20. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany

BLACK KEYS = Sovtek Big Muff

PINK FLOYD = Ram's Head Big Muff

All Info you need:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

Greets

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.