Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Big Muff revisit

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by andyfromdenver, Sep 29, 2013.

1. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Hey peeps, thought I'd share this with ya.
    I did a thread waaay back on this $5 Big Muff find. I rewired in three new pots an led, and cleaned it up.
    Well, low and behold about 7 months later, one of the sucky pcb mount jacks just broke off at the nut end, right before showtime! (Had it on bass guitar)
    Anyway, apparently all the fancy braided wires and new big pots caused the board to put tension on the stock jack and break it. (It was just floating in air held in place by the jacks being screwed to chassis.
    I fixed it for good this time:
    Shielded the in and out wires. Drilled holes and put the board on standoffs. Buffed down a bare metal spot for the new jacks with a dremel. And, as you can see, now I can forget that little ground that came stock.
    It's significantly quieter and an awesome pedal now!
    Big Muff, why did I not buy you as a teen????

Attached Files:

2. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    If anyone needs help doing the same to theirs, lemme know :)
    Love this pedal so much! I'd add a more standard power in, but my daisy chain power has a 9volt adaptor plug, so no need yet. Plus I like batteries sometimes if this is the only pedal.

Remember, one Jack needs to be stereo to operate the battery save feature.

3. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Jan 22, 2012
    San Antonio tx
    I remember that thread. Nice to see its still being put to good use

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
  6. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Hey there! Yeah, I like it a lot :) it did a cool thing for bass, and of course it's the bomb for a crunchy lead guit sound.

7. storyboards27

storyboards27 Tele-Meister

May 18, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Looks good man. Love Big Muffs. And the yellow chicken head knobs on yours look awesome!

8. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.