Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

BF/SF Mid Control

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, Jun 4, 2018.

1. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    There's a 6.8 k resister on the bass pot. That's the mid control right? If I want less mids do I raise that value or lower it?
    I could do the "add mid pot" mod, but dont really think I need to.

2. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    You would lower the value, to say 4.7k.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Well.... you could lower the resistor value but there is another method that keeps the amp from being modded.

Raise the "bass & treble" controls... then turn down a little if needed. That scoops the mids even more.
    More often than that players will actually reverse that procedure for more mids. They lower the bass and treble to 2 or 3, then turn up.

Wally and JD0x0 like this.

4. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    That's an interesting thought. Last night I had the treble on 6 and the bass on 4. 6 on the treble is reaching my threshold for highs though. Close to my usual spot.
    It's a little BF Deluxe non reverb.... it's just the most beautiful tone for leads there is. Every time I pull it out, at some point in the night my jaw is just on the floor! Amazingly it will take any of the 3 OD's I have fine, or be fine plug and play if I can play loud enough.
    But there are times when I would like to scoop a bit more when I'm chording or comping... Maybe I could make a foot switch to change values on the fly! Too long leads I suppose! Need a relay.........

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    I strongly recommend the 'mid pot' -- it fits perfectly in the ext. speaker jack hole on the rear, and is easily reversed!

Mike Eskimo likes this.

7. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    I like to use a small 3-way switch on that resistor. One position is stock 6.8k, middle position lifts the ground for a big gain boost and the last position usually has a 15k or so for a bit of a bump in the mids.

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    What are we talking about? Princeton Reverb? Deluxe Reverb?

9. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I agree about an EQ pedal. Simple, no mods involved.

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Mid control works well on both...

11. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    I have monkeyed around with installing a bigger mid resistor and a smaller resistor, and a pot (rigged to be 6.8k on zero on the dial). I have also done a bunch of monkeying around with eq and preamp settings of the signal before it hits the amp at all.

Amps that I have tried variants of this on are BJrs, PRs, a DR, and a 5e3. With single coil and hb guitars including jazz-riggs with monster flatwounds.

Of course to each his own, go wild. In no case in my world have I found the need for a bigger mid-scoop than what a 6.8k gives (* a smaller value would dump more mids out, I believe, please chime in if you disagree). In the pot scenario, if/when I need it cranking the mid pot up gives me back a surprisingly nice bunch of volume, useful at times..
    .yet the dialed-out value sounds best to me most of the time

That said though, I have been able to get some cool fat jazz tones with pressence mods (primarily with a pot) but also with an eq before it hits that amp.

My current rig which is quite nice (but I'm still chasing my dream tone) is:

Ibanez A73 stock
    Tomastik flatwounds, 12s
    Baggs Para EQ
    Hoffman-circuit PR with pine cab, Allen T020 OT, no carbon comps
    Weber 12F50 (new one, might be a slightly off name)
    Tubes from GC and wherever (I have a collection of the mofos from doing this and that, but afaict no NOS or truly premium stuff).

Wally likes this.

12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Hmm, the 'big gain boost' sounds intriguing!! ...now if I made that mid pot a 'no-load' that should also lift the ground -- I think its worth opening up a pot and cutting that carbon trace to see what happens!

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    You could also put in a trim pot.

14. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I have one, I don't find it the same as the amp controls though. But it can help. I use mine mostly for balancing the room/venue differences. To my ears, there's a difference in WHERE the tone adjustment is in the circuit. ie: adjusting your guitar tone result is different than adjusting your amp tone.
    Done it many times, but usually find I leave it in one spot anyway
    This is my BF Deluxe non rev but it can be any amp really. But for some reason, although I totally love the amp, it seems more middy than my BFDR or other SF/BF amps. I need to get it opened up and see what caps etc are actually in it, maybe something oddball in there that I wasnt aware of! To me it sounds a bit more like a Brown Deluxe in the mids. Haven't had it open for a couple years I think.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

15. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    So... the bottom line is LOWER resistor value = less mids... right?

16. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Right!

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    On the mid pot that was in my NR Princeton, default/stock setting was 4 so, below that - even more scooped.

18. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I think I will just move a bit down and give it a try. Dont need a lot.

19. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    lower value resistor allows more of the mids an easier path to ground = less mids.

If anything, I add mids to my Fenders :D

jonrpick likes this.

20. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Just thought I'd update for those interested:
    I put in a switch that allows the stock mid resistor 6.8k and a 5.1k I had. In the music room, it's pretty hard to tell much difference frankly. But I'm leaving it in and will do a gig this weekend and see what it sounds like live in the mix.

King Fan and Mr Ridesglide like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.