Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

BF Bassman: Best Cab/Speakers to pair with?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Azaril000, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Azaril000

Azaril000 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2010
    London
    Hi all,

Simply put I'm looking for the best setup speaker wise to the get most out of my 1965 BF Bassman head by buying it it's own cab as it's currently borrowing from my JCM800's 1936 cab.

My options for cabs are: 2x10 or 1x12 (Just what I found for sale second hand and within my budget). I think the 2x10's have Jenson c10q's and the 1x12 has a stock Fender Eminence speaker).

My setup is to mainly play at home and I have a bit more ability to play louder than a typical "bedroom volumes". However I am looking to keep things modest whilst at home (I doubt i'll be gigging for a long time).

Just doing some research I'm seeing a lot of people prefer 1x12 to the 2x10's. I would definitely look to replacing the speaker of the 1x12 if I went with that. What 12' speaker would you all recommend to get the authentic vintage BF tone?

2 other questions:
    1. I was looking into buying a low efficient speaker to reduce the volume. Will going for a low efficient speaker mean I'd miss the speakers which provide the best BF sound?

2. My Bassman has a 4ohm output, will going to a single 8ohm speaker damage it and should I look for 4ohm speakers (Which seem limited)? Is there a sound degradation of a 4ohm head going to 8ohm speaker?

I'd appreciate all your feedback very much!

Thanks,

Dan

2. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I run my Bassman head with an 8 ohm speaker. No problems, I actually like it in that particular amp. I dont think you will have a ton of difference with low or high efficiency at home. It's a loud amp either way. Get the speaker you want. Regarding the Fender Emi speaker in the cab... it depends on what speaker. I have an old Fender Twin speaker made by Eminence that is a a killer sounding 12" speaker. Warmish but articulate. 2 x 10 with RI C10q's is abarely up to the task and they can be piercing even with lesser amps.

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You gotta have the matching original 212 cab!

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Not on your list but you can buy later Marshall 4x12 cabs pretty cheap. They've had an impedance selector since the 90's or easy enough to rewire for 4 ohms.
    If you want a 4x12 that is.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I run mine through a couple of different cabinets these days. A 2x12 running Celestian Vintage 30 and a Heritage speaker. The second cab runs a Jensen Blackbird 12 with a Eminence Copperhead 10 which I saw someone online using and thought it sounded perfect. Then there is a 1x12 running a vintage Altec-Lansing 417-8C. They all work well with the nod going to the mixed cab with the Blackbird and Copperhead speakers, the Altec second, and the Celestians third. Only the 1x12 is light enough to want to take out of the house though, the rest aren't going anywhere without a moving company.

I really love the Altec speakers, they are in many of my various combos, but I also like Eminence speakers (Texas Heat) as well as the WGS speaker offerrings. My point being that there isn't a "best choice" in my opinion. They all sound great, but I would probably suggest a good convertible back 2x12 running Greenbacks, Vintage 30, or even the Texas Heats for a solid set-up before considering the more expensive options like that Blackbird. Most of those speakers will not stand out from each other until you reach higher volumes which you will not likely do too often. My BF Bassman hasn't been above 3 in a long time at the house.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.