Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Beware of MJT/Musikraft customer service!!!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by omfg51, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omfg51

omfg51 TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Boise, Idaho
    DISCLAIMER: I recently posted about this issue, but the situation has now reached an all new level of disappointing. This post is regarding a very negative situation I am currently tied up in with both MJT and Musikraft regarding a product I have purchased. It is simply a factual recounting, combined with my personal opinion based on the facts.

I truly hate to have to post this, as I have had great products and interactions with these guys in the past, but I feel that what I have experienced simply should not go unnoticed.

I recently (2 months ago) received a kit I had ordered from MJT/Musikraft that I had eagerly anticipated for about 3 and a half months. To my dismay, I found that upon attempted assembly of my kit, there were several glaring issues with several of the components, so much so that drastic modification would be required in order to properly assemble the kit with any intention of being able to play it.

Here is a list of some of the more detrimental known issues with the kit:

- Neck base originally didn't fit correctly into neck pocket in order for the neck to be straight, now slightly modified to fit straighter

- Positioning of the cavity for the vibrato system is off, and renders the locking mechanism of the actual tailpiece useless

- Frets were not properly fitted into slots in the fingerboard, and after being seated, about 50% of the frets are totally seated (glued) in place and will not move, but are not remotely level with one another to allow playability

- Pickguard cavity holes did not align with body cavities, and most other components did not fit pickguard

- Post holes for the bridge were not aligned with the neck cavity properly, thus the saddles will guide the strings too far away from the low E side of the neck, and too close to the edge of the fingerboard on the high e side

There are a few other minor issues that I was able to fix with some modification, but the aforementioned are what will require a lot of time and money from a local luthier in order to address.

Many of the issues were understandable from an individual standpoint, and can even be expected with guitar manufacturing these days. Things like the nut, the bridge or saddles, fret issues, etc. all things that I have witnessed firsthand with previously owned instruments. Yet the sheer number of issues with this single instrument, even a kit guitar, a collective of parts,and the overall effect these issues will have on the functional aspects, this guitar is simply not worth the time, money, and effort to try to achieve basic playability.

To me, this is not a truly new experience, I'm sure many of us have received a sub-par instrument from somewhere, but the way that my particular case has been handled is simply unacceptable.

Matt and Jenny from MJT have been ridiculously slow with email responses this time around, specifically with questions or complaints about anything at all, nonetheless the issue of the instrument being faulty altogether. Musikraft at this point has completely stopped responding to my emails, most of which are about faulty production of the neck I received in this kit.

At this point, both companies have claimed, multiple times, to have little to no real binding affiliation with one another, and have pointed the finger at one another in cases of customer accommodation and communication. I have been outright declined any kind of reimbursement from MJT for a simply faulty and unworthy product, and have been directed to Musikraft for anything further.

Let me say that I still own and play a guitar purchased from MJT/Musikraft, and it is a fantastic instrument, one that I still consider my number 1 guitar to this very day.Unfortunately, the situation I am currently in with these two companies is, by far, the worst example of basic communication and customer accommodation I have experienced with any gear purchase.

I know that this is a completely negative post about an otherwise respectable and deserving company, and I myself admit that my previous purchase is more than 100% satisfactory. Yet, I cannot help but feel like the lack of responsibility taken, by both companies in this case, is simply unacceptable given the issue(s), and their severity.

I post this simply to explain my current position, and to hopefully inspire more people to hold these companies accountable for the quality of their products, or lack thereof in this particular case.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

2. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    What was wrong with the musikraft neck? I was looking forward to possibly ordering from them in the future. Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you guys get it all sorted out. Its unfortunate to hear about disappointment in this field, especially when so many of us put so much passion into it.

3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    It's 2017, I've had issues with manufacturers before...I get out my cell phone and take pics showing the issues to allow myself some evidence in the face of scrutiny.

All I'm saying is take some pics and show some evidence of all these issues.

Johnson johnson and SoulstormTX like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. omfg51

omfg51 TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Boise, Idaho
    Original post edited to include some of the major issues

SoulstormTX likes this.

6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Sorry to hear of your problems, this is the first and only time I have heard of any complaints for both MJT or Musikraft.

7. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Definitely need pictures to back this up. These are two well respected vendors. I don't think this should have been posted without some documented responses from one or the other vendor. So far, we only have your word and members with only 5 posts have little weight. Post the pics to back it up or delete this thread until you have something more credible.

Doug 54 likes this.

8. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic

May 31, 2014
    austin
    How many forums have you posted this on? This is and TGP are two I have seen.
    also, how long is ridiculously long to get back to you? An hour, a day, a week?
    Are all of the parts from the same vendor or are they piece mealed together?
    I am sorry to hear you are having issues, but I feel like both of these companies would fix any issues that were caused by them. Putting them on blast on forums probably isnt going to resolve anything.
    I hope it works out for you. I understand the excitement of a new project and the frustration of it not going smoothly.

9. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Saw this cross-posted on TGP, and presumably elsewhere. As I said there, aside from the dubious claim as to the Musikraft neck, OP is describing issues common to building parts guitars. The Allparts JM pickguard thing is well documented, and neck installation often requires a bit of massaging for an ideal setup. Much ado about nothing.

10. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry to hear of omfg51's issues.

Sorry also that this puts three (or four) of my favourite guitars under a cloud, as in "Oh no, it's not an M*T is it?"

I'm also wondering how many posts one has to make in order to gain credibility or acceptance on this forum. I have seen posters with zillions of previous posts make the odd 'iffy' statement now and then with no demand for photo evidence from the growling masses.

C'mon folks omfg51 has an issue that would perhaps rattle many of our cages. Let's be patient and see what transpires here........ and yes!, a photo or two might help.

One issue here however, is that I feel that some of us might get a little sensitive over the posters name ..... and I am not a religious individual, but in this day and age I think it could be offensive to many, no matter on which side of the line you choose to walk.

netgear69 likes this.

11. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    Parts guitars don't always go together easily. People who build them usually find this out quickly, and learn to deal with it. As per TDPRI PROTOCOL, pics or it never happened. I'm calling TROLL....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'm having trouble understanding the basics of the problem, due to the OP not knowing much about guitars as evidenced by use of terms such as: "body cavity", "neck base", "neck cavity", "post holes"; and also the omission of info such as what kind of guitar it is.
    While we understand that inexperienced buyers may need time to learn about parts guitar parts and assembly, it is hard to accept harsh critique from someone who has not yet learned what parts are called, and to believe that they are dead on in their claims that all the parts are faulty, and that both companies screwed up the communication.
    It is very difficult to communicate with a pissed off customer who doesn't speak the language!

Further, if the OP has begun modifying parts he or she does not even know the names of, while asking the seller for money, how does that work?
    Does the OP want to keep the parts and get a refund?
    Or does the OP want to return parts that are now modified to "fit"?

Mike Simpson and xafinity like this.

13. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Sorry for your troubles.
    I personally have never received anything but excellent product and customer service from MJT.

TeleTown likes this.

14. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I have nothing but the best possible things to say about Matt and Mark Jenny AND Scott at Musikraft. Both have taken excellent care of me. Yes, Matt Jenny doesn't call me back within minutes, sometimes it's the next day....nothing to get excited about....can't imagine either MJT or Musikraft NOT giving you their expert advice to any of your concerns....of course, just my opinions....

RJ

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

Please post pictures of what is wrong.
    What kind of guitar is this?
    Your description of what is wrong (bold in red) is not clear.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Do MJT and Musikraft issue "kits" jointly?

telemnemonics, kidmo and Doug 54 like this.

17. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    It's not a matter of how many posts, but what has been posted. Nobody has "zillions" of posts, but those with thousands have proven their knowledge and maturity and that's why they are taken at their word. Your insinuation about "growling masses" is also not appreciated.

tonyj likes this.

18. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    MJT sources bodies and necks from Musikraft, Warmoth, Allparts, etc depending on the customer's requests.

19. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    No, that's also why OP's thread is under question. MJT have nothing to do with quality or fit of body or necks. They only do finishes. MJT use Musikraft products because of their quality. The OP has not said if the parts that did not fit were purchased by himself or provided by MJT. This is the issue, the lack of relevant information. I smell disgruntled animosity. The OP came here to vent and has not returned.

telemnemonics likes this.

20. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I am tired of one sided vendetta posts making attacks for a personal agenda to tarnish a defenseless vendor.
    This type of post used to be frowned upon and deleted here years ago.

21. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'm curious to find out what "a kit I had ordered from MJT/ Musikraft" might be.
    AFAIK (and already noted) they are two different businesses.

I'm also curious about the description of the fretwork.
    If 50% of the frets are nicely seated but not dressed level, are the other 50% of the frets loose? Or are they all properly seated but only half need dressing?
    If the frets need dressing, which is how Musikraft sells necks, basically needing typical new neck installation and setup, is the OP asking Musikraft to pay for a luthier to dress the frets because the OP didn't understand what they were buying and what they would have to do with the parts to make a good playing guitar?

And what might MJT be finishing that uses a locking trem?
    Relic EVH Kramer clone?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.