Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Beware if buying Logic Pro X installed on a new Mac

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by speedingjet, May 17, 2018.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, such a price drop was surprising. The best $200 I've ever spent. All the updates at no charge since I first installed it on my old iMac.
    I feel for the OP. I had no issues when I got my current MBP and downloaded LPX from my prior App Store purchase.

2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    That sounds like an OEM license, but to be honest I have never known of Apple doing this type of licensing. Maybe they tested the waters and you just happen to draw a losing ticket in the timeline :cry:

OEM is common with Microsoft... OEM cannot be transferred to a different machine regardless of whether it's an upgrade or necessary due to computer failure. OEM belongs on the machine it was installed and no other. You do not own the license to OEM software, the machine does. Microsoft does this because of 3rd party relationships & agreements, something Apple doesn't need to worry about.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018

3. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Well I'd been into it for a while before I posted.
    It seemed all of the king's horses and all of the king's men could not sort it out.

A couple weeks ago, I was kicked up to customer relations. It took a couple weeks and a dozen calls. Most I'd dealt with couldn't help me as there was no contingency (or explanation).
    One guy really sunk his teeth into it and solved the problem. I received word today I'd be getting a refund.
    In 5-7 weeks. Unless someone terminates the action. But this is great progress. I think.

I was just surprised the world's largest and most successful company wouldn't just issue a credit a while ago (I had irrefutable proof of purchase).

It would have been the most efficient use of time and money for both them and I.
    I guess you don't get to be that large by writing cheques.

I can tell you one key learning after all of this, autotune pop hold music at 15kbps over a cell phone sounds as bad as you think it does.

grooveiron, Martin R and w3stie like this.

4. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Gotham City
    I am happy to hear that the folks at Apple have finally (hopefully) come to their senses.

speedingjet likes this.

5. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

I guess I spoke too soon. I just got a call saying their remedy to the issue has been declined internally.
    They offered me an accessory for free (ooooh!) but in looking, there's nothing I need, or at this point, even want.

I've been buying apple computers since 1995. I've been a professional graphic designer for 20 years.
    I've easily spent in excess of $25,000.00 on their workstations over the years.

And with all of that, they screw me out of $200 worth of software I already bought. I have the receipt. It was not a toy license.

With that, buyer beware. It would seem it is no longer "think different" but rather "up yours".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

6. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

The more I consider their offer of a free accessory, the angrier I get.

I've formally responded with "that is not acceptable".

Buyer beware.

7. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

You are correct. There is no such clause. I would not have bought it if there was. Why they've been unable to solve it is totally beyond me.

8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    When I purchased my iMac back in 2010 from Sweetwater I had them pre-install Logic 9. When the computer shipped I had the physical media. When Logic X was announced I believe it was a free upgrade (maybe not, it's been awhile) but since then I installed it on my wife's computer with no problems. Between 2010 and now I have got every update for Logic.

9. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

Sep 6, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    That's really strange. I have two Macs, both bought at about the same time a few years ago. I bought Logic X (from the Mac App Store, after I received the Macs) and had no trouble installing it on both machines. And it's not like it was a one-time glitch, because both have updated with no trouble in the time since then.

10. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2003
    Ohio
    Did you try using Migration Assistant to move Logic over to your new Mac? If not, you should try it. I just got a new MacBook Pro and was able to move all of my apps and data to my new machine without a problem.

speedingjet and getbent like this.

11. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Hmmmm. That's interesting. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the idea!

12. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Thank you for all the replies in general everyone.
    I understand that when you purchase software from Apple, it goes to your Apple ID account in the app store and you can then install on a new machine. That's how it is supposed to work.
    The issue here is that it did not.

I've scoured my accounts with Apple "support" and there is simply no trace in the app store.

All I have is the emailed itemized receipt (showing the logic purchase) direct from apple which one would expect would solve the issue immediately.

The fact it has not utterly baffles me. They could have issued a credit or a download code and saved themselves the resources of having their support deal with me for the 6-10 hours I've spent on the phone with them over the last month+.

They got to where they are by providing products and services that worked better/smoother/more elegantly than the competition's.
    It seems clear to me that they've lost that thread.

13. vjf1968

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Download Reaper, its $60 and its just as good.

speedingjet likes this.

14. vjf1968

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Sometimes I wonder if there is an internal war at Apple? You have the technical guys trying to keep up and create programs like Logic running and then you have the designers and "blue sky thinking types" who want things to look "sexy". The folks who see Apple more as a lifestyle brand and less about computers who want to sell Airpods and Airspeakers, and watches.

15. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Apple has shut the division down for PC's....it all i this and that now...."i'd run away!"

16. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2003
    Ohio
    That's not true.

17. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Heh then tell me who is making the software stuff for their pc's now?
    They don't even bother making anything new these days!

18. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2003
    Ohio
    Look in the App Store. There are thousands of developers.

Do you even own a Mac?

19. oldpkr

oldpkr Tele-Meister Double Platinum Supporter

Mar 23, 2009
    sf bay area
    i got my mac about 2 years ago with logic pro X preinstalled, just looked in the app store and its labeled as "essentials" which I've seen before only with apps like pages, keynote and numbers etc. odd

20. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2003
    Ohio
    The point I was making in response to NWinther's comment is that there are many more applications in the App Store from developers other than from just Apple. His assertion is patently false and misleading.

Outside of the App Store are thousands of other developers that do not use the app store.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.