Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

better sound bypassing the d-g stringtree

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by rodeoclown, Sep 30, 2018.

1. rodeoclown

rodeoclown TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada
    My Indonesian squire is perfect in every way except the d-g string tree w off by about 1/8", both strings appeared as having a boomerang shape on the head stock. After a couple years of simply ignoring the issue, I restrung bypassing it and now have a much better sounding guitar. I will now remove the string tree and replace without the upper portion that guides the strings leaving only the screw and collar.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    By not using the tree, it changes the tension across the nut. The effect of this depends a lot on the string gauge you use. If you use 9's or 8's you might find the tension too weak and you get a buzzy sitar like sound. That, I suspect, is the reason they have this on the Squier since beginners typically prefer lighter gauge strings. Heavier strings usually get better tension at the nut.

3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada
    glad you mentioned the lighter strings,

I switched to the Earnie ball 9's two string changes ago and playing has become much improved and easier on my hands, I'm pushing 60.

the off center string tree certainly created unneeded tension on the nut itself,

otherwise this guitar is perfect, not sure how they can offer a guitar like this for under $300,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.