Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best years for Tribute G&L ASATs?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tacomamc, Sep 10, 2017.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've bought a total of 39 instruments from the very facility where the Tribute is currently made. Nobody is going to successfully accuse me of being resistant to buying something based on being made in Indonesia - that just won't fly.

But that's not what this is about, when it comes to G + L. You can IMO barely get a sheet of paper between the vibe of a Fender made in Baja California and one made on the Production side in Corona. Same basic manufacturing setting - I think employees could be seamlessly transferred back and forth without disaster.

But the hand fitted Fullerton G + Ls versus the production line construction of Tribute replicas at the big anonymous Cortek combine in Surabaya is another matter entirely. The individual fitments away from the bridge and sometimes pickups are sourced differently and the engineering processes are just very different - this is almost an example of Convergent Evolution that the net results of the two different critters so resemble one another in a strong but superficial way - kinda like the way a Shark and a Porpoise resemble one another.

This is NOT about "country of origin". This is about one thing being original, and the other is a very clever recomposition.

Look, if I didn't see nice used USA G + Ls for sale now and again, in the $ 500-700 range, I would understand that a guy didn't want to spend $ 1,400 on the USA thing. But, so long as you're not in a rush, you don't have to pay anywhere near that much.

25 years ago, my friend was musing about getting a little second hand Jeep and his loving wife made some phone calls and had a "little Jeep" shipped to their home, as a surprise birthday gift:

[​IMG]

Only, it wasn't a little Jeep at all. A pile a junk, is what it was and I was enlisted to make the seller come get it and take it away.

Today's Genesis brand cars are clearly intended to fool people with a vague hungering for a high end car, into thinking they're getting something like a Mercedes, or a Lexus or something. The difference IMO is much smaller than it was in the above "little Jeep" example but the difference is still there. Don't sell yourself short, when the genuine thing is this close.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

2. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Boris, I really appreciate you weighing in on this. I'm struggling with my own impatience, but your reminder is a good one. I've really only looked locally so I need to expand my search criteria.

3. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    After having recently acquired a ASAT Special Tribute, I must say that i agree.

A large number of frets on my ASAT were poorly pressed in. Even after reseating 8 or 9 frets, it will need a fret level I the future before I'm happy with the action I can set.

My friend has the same guitar, and his has no issues with the fret work though.

Be careful when you buy them.

I could have sent my ASAT Special Tribute back, but it sounds fantastic, and whilst it's a good player now, I know I'll make it a great player soon. ;)

Still, I was disappointed with the fret work there.

By the way, the bridge o the ASAT Special Tribute is great. Really great and super comfy to play.

4. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Played the two locally available ASAT Classics again today. Both are ash, one is a burst. Both have the MFDs. I like those pickups. The one felt considerably narrower at the nut than the other. That one was also pretty heavy. Both are priced at $375. I realize the SDOTD will pop up again and hopefully I'll be in a position to move on it, but I want those MfDs, not the alnicos. Of course, I may in fact love the alnicos, who knows? My Jackson is not getting the interest I'd hoped and I probably was a bit aspirational in my initial pricing. I'll price mine a bit more aggressively in order to be in a position to take advantage of one of those SDOTDs. I like the ash body (never had ash before on a guitar). I doubt I'd hear the difference between ash and basswood, but I like guitars that show the wood grain. Here's a pic of the one I'm considering if it's still available. Does that price seem high for that guitar? I scour CL daily and there's nothing around here that I'm finding. Prices on Reverb are in the same range as what i have here but shipping is extra.
    IMG_4695.JPG

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    my only complaint about my tribute is that the frets need some minor work ,,, beyond that this is the best bang for the buck I have seen in a lower end Tele type axe. I mean I paid less than $300 for it.

6. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Found another Classic today, a new one with the alnico pickups. Decidedly different sound, frets were great, sounded great, played well. Something I could definitely get along with. However, the new MIM Standard Tele that I played earlier in the day was lighter, and the neck was a touch wider, which suits me better. In fact, the standard Tele was lighter than any of the Tribute ASATs I've tried. It's a burst with nice grain. It may come down to how much I can spend, but based on today's experience, I'd go with the Fender. However, I'd look for some used MFDs to put in it.

7. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    findlay ohio
    I have had two ASAT Classic tributes a '97 and a '98. They were and are wonderful instruments in all ways. I did buy on a whim a couple years ago one of the Tribute carved top Tales wit the hum buckers, while nice it needed a lot of fret and set up work. The hardware didn't seem a nice of quality as the older ones...

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

K, were your '97 and '98 G + Ls the ones with the 3 bolt neck? If so, those are USA guitars. The first Tributes were made in 2003 (no more 3 bolt by then). 2007 or 2008 would have been Indonesian made ones and some folks like the Korean better, others the Indonesian better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.