Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best years for Tribute G&L ASATs?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tacomamc, Sep 10, 2017.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Are the earlier Korean ones regarded any differently than the Indonesian Tributes? Also, aside from having "Tribute" stamped in the bridges, are there any other considerable differences?

The first question I asked in another thread and one comment was that some like them better, others don't. Wondered if others here have a stronger preference and why. I'm looking for my first G&L (purchase in the next few months hopefully) and am trying to narrow the field.

2. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    IMG_0109.JPG I have had both. Honestly, both seemed to be on par with each other. All of the imports improved after fret leveling. Not they they were bad before, just improved after the fret work. Finish work was the same. There are many who believe the Korean made are superior though.

Now the only American made I owned was better all around, but I still preferred playing the imports. Due to the neck radius and neck shape.

Humscruddle, Les Paul lover and ftbtx like this.

3. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Thank you, this is helpful. Are most of the Tributes 12" or 9" fretboard radius? I've seen both, and am not sure if it changed at some point or if it was on certain models all along.

4. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Also, that middle one of your with no pick guard.... can you tell me more about that one? There's one just like that for sale online somewhere (used) and it's different Than the other Specials I've seen.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

You are right about 9" or 12" being the Tribute radii. I think it's not a shift in specs but a model-by-model thing. For USA models, the default seems to be 9 1/2", but you get to choose 7 1/2, 9 1/2 or 12 when you order. (EDIT: the Jerry Cantrell models are 14" with a 1 3/4 nut!)

6. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I don't own it anymore. It had a nice ash body, thinner than than standard ASAT bodies. It had the larger MFD pickups, and played well. I am more of a fan of the ASAT's with the smaller tele style MFD's. Some people swear by these though. And it had a 9" radius.

7. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Thank you for your input. I've been trying out a few local asats.... one special and two classics (all Tributes). I wanted the Special but both Classics sound better to me. More bite, and fuller. That's just how I hear it. Going to play them again later today.

8. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    And, today on Musicians Friend SDOTD $299-
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
    G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar Gloss Natural
    The G&L ASAT Classic is Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on axe. This special version features an ash body in natural gloss, a 9.5" fretboard radius and a tortoise pickguard.

Framed in a classic boxed-steel bridge, the G&L-designed alnico pickups deliver crisp attack with complex harmonics while individual brass saddles offer modern levels of intonation refinement.
    The Tribute Series ASAT Classic is dripping with Leo mojo at a price attainable for every working musician. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back. Case sold separately.

9. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I know.... saw that and have to wait. I have a guitar up on reverb that's gotta sell first, unfortunately. That SDOTD is lower than all three used asats are locally....

10. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Just to note this does not have the MFD pickups. The MFD pickups are made in the USA.

boris bubbanov likes this.

11. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    MFD.... does that apply only tot he big wife ones on the Special and the SC-2? I thought these standard sizes ones on the Classic were also MFD, just a different style. Are the pickups on the Classic made in the US?

12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    MFD pickups are not alnico, the SDOTD ones are. I've got a bluesboy and the neck humbucker is Alnico, the bridge pickup is an MFD.

from the G&L website:
    The G&L Magnetic Field Design® pickups use a ceramic bar magnet installed underneath each coil, with soft iron adjustable pole pieces to transfer the magnetic field to the top of the pickup. By contrast, traditional Alnico type pickups, such as used in the Legacy model, use non-adjustable Alnico pole pieces leaving the only adjustment being pickup height. The Magnetic Field Design has this adjustment, but further offers individual adjustment of each pole piece, letting the player effectively adjust the output of each string on each pickup. Magnetic Field Design yield about twice the output per wind, making the pickup quieter while allowing a greater overall output. The sound of Magnetic Field pickups is slightly warmer with a broader frequency response.

13. BigDaddyLH

Look at the neck pup: if it has a cover, it's an AlNiCo. Otherwise, it's MFD. The MFD pups are made in the US, the AlNiCo pups on the Tributes are imported -- I don't know from where.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Tributes used to have USA pickups - not sure when they switched over, but something to watch for if buying used, if it matters to you.

15. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Ahhh, I totally missed that. Thank you both. The ones I'm playing locally all have the MFD. I just brought my VHT Special 6 in to the one shop to compare the ASAT Special with the Classic. I could be totally happy with either, really. The big white MFDs on the Special are brighter without being picky. The Classic is a bit darker, almost muffled humbucker like. Again, this is through my little amp. I'm not sure how pickup height adjustments will impact all that. The Special seems like the bridge pickup is pretty close tot he strings.

16. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    You dont need to look at the cover. The lack of allen key adjustment polepieces will show they're not MFD's. Also, I noted in the other thread, but I'll say it in this one too. Just because they're not USA made MFD pickups, doesn't make them inferior. I generally prefer alnico pickups to the MFD's.

FWIW there are MFD and Alnico tribute versions, as well as MFD and Alnico USA versions. The alnico pickups in the tributes are made to the USA specs, overseas. To me, it doesn't matter where the pickups were wound. Country of origin does not necessarily equate to quality.

17. BigDaddyLH

I think we're saying the same thing. If you can see the allen key adjustment polepieces -- there's is no metal cover on the neck pup!

AlNiCo:

[​IMG]

MFD:

[​IMG]

18. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I've got one of the newer Legacy Tributes with Indonesian made versions of the USA G&L CLF100 pickups (which, legend has it, are based on the Duncan SSL2). The Indonesian pickups sound great.

19. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I'm not concerned with country of origin either. To me, on if the things that makes G&L awesome is that they have their own pickup designs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Tacomamc, at this point, any Korean Tribute you find is going to be almost 10 years old, or older.

In basic terms, used to be the USA models offered 12" radius and 7.5" radius, while the Tribute fell halfway inbetween.

And the USA models (except for the George Fullerton, special orders) had Jumbo (6100) wire while the Tribute has a smaller Medium Jumbo.

I don't know exactly where you are in NE Pennsylvania but you're not in eastern Montana. You are within reach of a large number of used USA G + Ls. You should go looking for them, since none of the locally available Tributes seems to have set your heart afire. Patience may be required, but you could really score a tremendous deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.