Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best way to turn on and turn off a tube amp?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by HotRodSteve, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I should have used an intro there.....I didn't "say" anything in post #79. I simply posted a technical expanation for the situation. I'll edit...

standby..use 'em if you have 'em adn want to use 'em. Be aware that cathode poisoning is a reality and occurs when the circuit has been left in that standby mode for long periods....decreasing the integrity and life of the tube.

If I didn't say it earlier, the only amps that demand that I use the standby on are amps that have a lot of relays that Pop! when the circuit is shut down with full voltage present in the circuit. The standby is not needed for firing the amp up, but it is needed when shutting the amp down...unless you like hearing those relays Pop, Pop, Pop.....
    The standby is useful when changing cables or instruments.

2. david_lewis93

david_lewis93 Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2009
    Eureka, texas
    What if your tuber doesn't have a stand by switch ?
    and yes this is a real question .
    bend em tight and let er scream

3. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    then, if the designer of that amp knew what they were doing and installed caps with sufficient votlage capabilities, that amp does not need a stand by switch.....as stated in that quoted explanation I posted in #79.

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Why does the Marshall DSL15H have a time delay with an audible click a fraction of a second after you turn on (or off) the single power toggle?

BTW this amp has no standby switch, it has a solid state rectifier with all tube preamp and power (came with TubeAmpDoctor 6V6's believe it or not).

5. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That might be a relay popping as teh circuit draws down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.