Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best way to measure the thickness of a neck

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Dana, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Dana

Dana Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Ashland, Ma
    What's the best way to measure the thickness of a tele neck, and what tool is the best for making this measurement? I'm having a new neck made and want to make sure I get the right measurements. Thanks.

2. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Blacksburg, VA
    Caliper

You want to use a caliper for this. If you can borrow a precision instrument, great. A cheaper plastic caliper will measure to .01 inches and will be fine for measuring neck thickness.

The profile is more of a challenge. You might try bending a piece of wire to fit and trace it onto a piece of paper.

3. Michael Murphy

Michael Murphy Tele-Afflicted

Here is what calipers look like:

[​IMG]

Some come with a digital readout, but you get the idea.

Here's a contour gauge:

[​IMG]

I have made good copies of neck profiles using these two items. Once you get the shape from the contour gauge, transfer it to a piece of poster board. You'll have to round it out a little bit, because the little pieces of wire (or plastic) used in it will be kind of jagged, depending on the thickness of the material they are made from.

If you want to have it done for you, and can do without having the neck for a short length of time, send it to Tommy @ USACG. He will duplicate it for you exactly, using basically the same method, and inputting the numbers into his CNC machine, and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. I sent him the profile templates I made from my James Burton Standard, and he did an excellent job of duplicating it.

USA Custom Guitars

-Michael
    Chater Member S. Texas He-man Emoticon Haters Local #316

4. Kurt

Kurt Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    MA
    Remember to measure at 1st and at 12th fret

Typically, you'll want to know the taper, based on thickness at 1st fret and thickness at 12th fret. I use plastic calipers with good results.

5. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Wrap your fingers around it while she sleeps :eek: (Sorry, couldn't resist, bad married joke)

6. Rusty

Rusty Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2003
    Bridge p/u
    If possible let the person building your new neck spec out the old neck. When I had my '69 neck copied for another guitar, the luthier measured about 25 different places. Also, he was probably a little more accurate than I would have been:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.