Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best way to get there from here with this SG

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by drlizardo, Oct 6, 2017.

1. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2013
    Central Illinois
    I have a natural finish Gibson SG like this:
    [​IMG]
    Is there a reasonable way an inexperienced person could get it closer to this finish(or thereabouts)?
    [​IMG]

2. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Yes. They'd take it all apart, and sand off the finish, re-finish with red stain and clear sand it some more, no buff if that;s what you want, and then put it back together. Might even come out good.
    Probably cost $500 or more ( pure guess )

brogh likes this.

3. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

for what its worth, i really like it as it is. the light finish is much less common and i see that as a good thing. YMMV

MilwMark, Piggy Stu and brogh like this.

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    That's not an easy job. You'd need to completely remove every trace of the original finish, possibly grain fill, stain to your new color, then clear coat.

If you really want to DIY and end up with something nice, start by getting some scrap mahogany and work with that until you can produce the quality and color on a flat piece of wood that you want for the guitar. The corners and edges on the guitar are a whole new set of problems.

For what it's worth, you have a beautiful guitar now. Consider just selling it and buying what you want. Or keep it as is, you loved it once.

5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Natural finish Gibsons, to my understanding, are quite rare and hard to come by... I personally wouldn't refinish one, especially if it looked that good.

MilwMark likes this.

6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Leave it as it is - it looks great!

I've never seen that finish with P90s. I'd be very happy to own it! Originality counts when selling, so you'd potentially devalue it. SGs are plentiful and very affordable on the used market - presumably more so where you live than the UK, so why not save up for a mahogany finish model with humbuckers like the pic? - that way, you'd have two distinct sonic flavours and a great pair of guitars. ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    MilwMark likes this.

7. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2013
    Central Illinois
    MilwMark likes this.

8. RoyBGood

drlizardo likes this.

9. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK

11. RoyBGood

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Easy? No. See Ricky d's post above.

You can't get that finish without buffing (as one recommendation read) - the one you posted has a gloss showing in the treble horn.

Shoe polish is not a permanent finish and can rub off on clothes. When you shine shoes doe you do it *once*? No.

The guitar needs to be stripped and a sealer/dye or stain/tinted filler/toner/clear lacquer system (or a somewhat similar polyurethane system) applied to duplicate what you posted. There are no easy methods if you want the finish to look right AND last.

13. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I think it looks good as is.

14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Leave it as it is, I think, It's beautiful, and if you really want the darker stain, you can pick up a used SG Faded like that for less than $500 (I got my 2002 w/case used for $450 from GC about three years ago).

sg_1.jpg

drlizardo likes this.

15. Beats

Beats TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    US
    Take her apart, sand realllll nice, then wallow in regret.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Might want to get that funny bone looked at...

Telecasterless likes this.

17. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Yes, sell me the natural finish SG and use the money toward a cherry one.

18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Cherry red SGs are beautiful, but common as dirt. Get one, and leave this one alone.

EDIT: If that's walnut, well, that's harder to find, but hardly impossible. Get one.

19. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Yeah seriously it's a lot of work just to look like all the others. I wouldn;t do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.