Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Way To Dull The Finish Somewhat

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by MDMachiavelli, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a instrument in my family of instruments and the shine on it is just a little to much for me. I've seen it discussed before but I could not find it. What is the best way to dull the finish just a little without ruining it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan

3. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

4. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Don't use steel wool anywhere near the pickups or you'll have a hell of a time getting the metal "dust" off of the pole pieces. Might want to try "bronze wool", but I don't think it comes in various grades like steel wool.

Piggy Stu and Boomhauer like this.

5. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Yep, I stripped the body entirely of it's components, so I was just working on a chunk of wood, and got out my cheap random orbital sander I bought at Menard's a few years back. The velcro fastening on the sander sticks to the steel wool and "buffs" the shine off of thick poly finishes.

6. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    Scotchbrite? That way you don't have to worry about the ferrous dust.

7. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Same here used steel wool and then tcut on poly finish. Works well but requires care and time.. Can show pics if you want.

protect the pickups.

8. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I happened to have steel wool and a sander in the garage, right next to each other. I have heard that Scotchbrite works better than steel wool, and I think if you go to Lowe's or Menards, they actually sell an attachment for a sander that achieves exactly what I did with the steel wool, without bugging up the velcro on the sander.

It's astounding how off-the-cuff my little experiment was. "Sander...steel wool...Hey, let's put 'em together and see what it does to my guitar!"

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    On large areas it is very difficult to degloss a finish without having visible random scratch patterns, which is why it's so expensive to have it done for a piano. On a guitar you can get away with whatever you're comfortable with. I would work backwards from what I'd do buffing out a guitar or piece of furniture, and instead of starting at a certain grit I'd just go to that grit and stop. My favorite is MicroMesh cushioned abrasive pads with a special soft adaptor for a random orbit sander, which will leave a lustre without visible scratch marks.

Another method is to rub it out with varying degrees of coarse rubbing compound, or for the real old school refinishers, Rottenstone or Pumice. These are tools that are appropriate if you repair an area and you want to recreate the same patina as the older lacquer on the rest of the piece.

boris bubbanov likes this.

10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Grey Scothbrite.

bingy likes this.

11. Guy250K

Guy250K NEW MEMBER!

Feb 28, 2015
    Evanston, Wyoming
    A few years ago I deglossed an upright bass using 3M Micro Finishing Paper. There are at least 5 grits available. It works very well and gives you a lot of control to prevent damage to the finish. Can be purchased at art stores or StewMac.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What Vizcaster is saying, especially.

The trick is to start with something so fine, you think of the product as being useful to make something MORE glossy not less glossy. But any cutting agent, however fine, will take that hyper gloss off the finish.

Look at it this way: No harm done if the abrasive you use is so fine it seems not to be doing much of anything. BUT. If you get impatient and use something too coarse, when you inspect your work, everywhere you look there will be fine scratches. That's IMO the worst thing that can happen to you. So when experimenting for the look you want, err on the side of more fineness and more towards coarse only one tiny step at a time.

danpan likes this.

13. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Automotive rubbing compound is an option also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.