Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Value Used Gibson

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Hoodster, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Oregon

2. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    While I like the melody maker and it's price, another solid option is the Gibson Less Paul Special Double Cut, which sells for $579.99 at Sam Ash. It's "2015 new" and has a warranty.

3. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Les Paul Studio Satin.

ReaL Madras likes this.

4. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO

5. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

The value depends on what you want. I don't care how cheap a LP Jr. is if I need/want a guitar with a neck pickup as well as a bridge pickup.

In reality the best value is the guitar you want at the best available market price. If you buy used with careful research and patience chances
    are you will be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it in which case you're essentially renting it for free for as long as you want it.

Piggy Stu likes this.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Best value?
    Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Special Model II ... Used $25-$50 range.

Random internet photo below that shows the typical way they did it for a while. This one apparently has a tuner upgrade.

Second photo is my Epi LP Junior with this headstock and truss cover layout. I flipped the truss cover over so it shows white on top since I liked the color offset, but it says 'Gibson' underneath. I paid $15 for mine. Playing value is huge but resale value maybe $40.

Because of the Gibson name on that cover I have seen people list these on CL for $250+ and of course the guitars sit there for months.

[​IMG]

EpiLPJr_170114.jpg

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Bought an Epi LP Jr. and stripped the paint off to refinish - it was plywood.

TMMC likes this.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Some older Epiphone Jrs and Specials were plywood, but I heard that the newer ones are Poplar.

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Not cheapest, but best value: used Historic.

deytookerjaabs likes this.

10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

Yup, unless you're buying at a vintage/boutique shop in Nashville, in which case you can almost get a new 2017 Historic for the same price!

Of course, I still maintain late 60's, 70's, and 80's Gibson was chock full of dynamite guitars which are very underrated by some.

Zepfan, TMMC and ac15 like this.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Best value Gibsons would be any of the stripped down models with the cheap finishes that sell for $700 - $800 new. Lots of models of Les Pauls and SGs that they've done over the years. And I'll agree with the Melody Makers too. Always seemed like a ton of guitar for the price.

As for Epiphone, I've had three; all required some serious upgrading to make them reliable, giggable instruments. Junk electronics, hardware, and pickups. Good necks though.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    I agree. The VOS Historic plain top. Can be had for around $2300 to $2500. Which is almost a grand less than a patterned finish. Plays the same, sounds the same, in some cases better than the $3500 and up versions. Like going back to 1958. Solid body, no weight relief. I have an R8 which I found after searching for almost a year.

tonyj and ac15 like this.

13. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I may have just sold it.

LP7.JPG
    2015 LP Special. Lacquer finish, Grovers, coil cut, Burst buckers-Sold for $625 and it took me a while. I'm just not a Les Paul guy. I've had 3 LPs and never kept any of them longer than a year.

TMMC and Dismalhead like this.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Yep, I have a 54 reissue. Also cheaper than the flame top ones.

15. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Over here you can get a Midtown Standard for about 6-700 UKP

kookaburra and TMMC like this.

16. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    IMO the SG faded Series is a bargain of a guitar. They feel and play great, and a nice used one can be found for well under $500.

kookaburra likes this.

17. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Anything w/ a headstock repair, I've gotten several faded "specials" w/ almost invisible repairs for as little as $300. A well done repair is stronger than the surrounding wood, and it is more likely that the guitar will snap elsewhere before the original break will reopen

kookaburra likes this.

18. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For vintage, the best deals are the L6S and then the marauders and other off-models.

19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    In my humble opinion the SG Standard is by far the most value for money. For less than a strat and almost half price you get the works. Gloss finish, bindings on the neck and a hardcase.

But yeah, the SG faded and specials are also sick deals on the used market and I grab one without hesitation if I didn't have the extra cash for a standard.

SheldonP likes this.

20. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    The best value Gibson IMHO is a true Les Paul (Std or Trad. but not studio) which you can get for great prices in the used market... probably less than some folks pay for new Studios. There is no comparison.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.