Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best tube amp under 600 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by archielco, Dec 4, 2017.

1. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    for a band situation, you may find that 15 watts is not enough, especially if you want clean sounds. AC15/Tiny Terror will run out of gas if you have a loud drummer. The Orange TH30 combo is about the same size / weight as the AC15 but packs a lot more punch. I found one used in your price range. Really a fun, versatile amp.

The bar-band staple around here is the Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe, if you want the Fender sound at club volumes.

Piggy Stu and mnutz like this.

2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Ok. AC30. Everything else still applies.:)

tlimbert65 likes this.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I can understand your saying that. Head + cab can be more to load in for a gig, possibly making for more than one trip. However, there is an attractive option, one I’m looking into myself right now. Admittedly, I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, so at this point my suggestion is mostly theoretical. Still...

Vox MV50 + BC112. That’s the new Vox mini head with the innovative “NuTube” technology (a VFD tube repurposed for audio) paired with a specially designed Class D power amp. So it’s a hybrid amp. There are three versions of the MV50: the AC, the Rock and the Clean. And the “BC112” refers to the 1x12" model of the Vox “Black Cab” series.

The amp head weighs barely over half a kilogram (540g), and is basically the size of a pedal; it can fit on your pedal board or in your gig bag. To illustrate this, back in June, fellow TDPRI member Boil posted this pic, showing his MV50 AC next to a Boss pedal for size reference…

[​IMG]

The amp is tiny, but with the 8-ohm BC112 speaker you have 25 watts of output power, and by all accounts it’s loud enough to gig with. And it sells for just £199.

The cab is a manageable size; the dimensions of the BC112 are 135mm W x 100mm D x 75mm H, and it weighs 13.6 kg. In size, that’s smaller than an AC10, and comparable in weight. And the price tag for the cab is £249.

[​IMG]
    So this rig could work for your purposes, depending on band configuration, volume needs, venue, other factors. And it would bring you in well under budget, leaving you about 150 quid for a pedal or two.

4. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    I've got an old Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 i'll sell you, for about half your budget! Well maybe slightly more than half... but either way, a very affordable EL84 amp with decent verb and trem.

5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I wasn't always like this ya know. I was a Marshall fanboy before I was a Fender fanboy before I was a Vox fanboy.

6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm really not sure of the market in your area. Around here I might be able to find a DRRI/PRRI for $800-$900. Vox might be a good option. I'm not sure if they have Traynor Amps where you are, but they are pretty good value for the money, especially used.

My point was mainly that you'll be able to get more amp for the same money if you buy used.

7. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Used market is always going to have more bargains. I highly recommend that for any musical gear. I bought my Jet City JCA2112RC used for $160 and my guitar for $80. Here is how it sounds...

8. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Picked up a Jet City Head JCA20HV used for $200. Was even fairly recently re-tubed. Very happy with it....sounds JTM-45ish with the lower gain than the standard Soldano's.
    Hard to beat Peavey's for Bang for the Buck new or used, whether "Classic", "Delta Blues", or "Bandit"
    Also a place in my heart, or maybe just a little lower and to the right in my spleen that like's the AC15 if you want to go name brand.
    Just to stir the pot that much more would look at used Laney's and Traynor's.
    So if you're getting comfortable with a choice, this probably just fouled things up.
    Enjoy!

9. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Not sure about your area, but I found my Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb for well under your budget. Great amp. Can be modded easily if you need more clean.

10. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    What kind of amps do your favorite bands use? Don't be as concerned with the name on the front but more specifically what power tube configurations you enjoy. EL84, EL34, 6V6, 6L6, etc.. Do you want the amp to break up early at low volueme or stay as clean as possible until your eardrums burst?

11. fender_freak

fender_freak Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    If you don't need to gig it or can mike it - Fender Vibrochamp or Bronco
    If you need a do everything amp - Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

12. William Pugh

William Pugh TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Quebec
    These:

13. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I swear by my Peavey Classic 30 as a great all-round gigging combo.

Nice cleans, plenty of overdrive , spring reverb, effects loop - what's not to like?

That said, the AC15 has always had me wondering 'what if...'

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I have a Vox AC4-12, Marshall Class 5, Marshall DSL5 AC30, Fender Pro Junior, Crate Vintage Club 50 and Vox Pathfidner 15 ......each have strengths and weaknesses. Really depends on your guitar, effects you use, music type, how your sound needs to fit in the mix etc.

I think the Jet City 20watt is a very cool sounding amp and here go for very cheap. I had a an ac15 but REALLY didn't like the "gritty/bratty" sound it had...but then i LOVE the AC30, AC4 and pathfinder sound....a more suitable band amp flavour you would be hard pressed to beat. though they can sound a bit harsh by themselves....I am VERY happy with the DSL 5, I got that cheap and can get some great sounds from it, significantly more flexible than the class 5 but the class 5 on song with its one clean and one crunchy sound is pretty damn good too.

Its a wide world out there! :)

My only suggestion is buy used, buy smart and you'll never really ever lose much if anything on the resale if it's not your cup of tea.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    You will start to get into the territory of decent Marshalls at that price range.

16. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I'd recommend you check out the Hughes Kettner Tubemeister at right around $600. You get what you pay for in amps up to a certain point so I wouldn't go cheap

17. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I have bee using my Classic 30 a lot lately (with an extension cab ). It probably won't do metal but it has been doing everything else just fine. It is loud enough for most of my gigs. Used the price is right.

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Peavey Classic 30 is a very versatile good sounding lightweight amp. Marshall DSL 40, Traynor YGL and YCV tube amps are also great.

19. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Jun 6, 2011
    Leighton Buzzard
    Check out the bugerra v22 infinium, you'll love it also the vox mv50 sounds nice too

20. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I would look around for a little hand wired Deluxe from a kit for that...there is one for sale by me with British Green tolex and Celestion alnico gold for 600....I am seriously thinking about getting it...its top notch....check Reverb to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.