Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best tube amp under 600 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by archielco, Dec 4, 2017.

1. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    AL7 1NW
    I'm currently in the market for a new amp. I have set my sights on a tube/valve amp but have limited funds. I was wondering what suggestions you have for under about 600 pounds or 800 dollars. I play mostly indie and rock. Thanks.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Welcome to TDPRI. You have found the right place for great advice and you will get plenty. My input would be for you to play as many amps as possible before deciding which one to buy. There are many amps because there are many voices from many amp companies. Try separating them by the type of power tubes they have too.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    My advice is buy something used... and in good shape.

4. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    AL7 1NW
    What amp would you suggest?

5. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    AL7 1NW
    Cheers and sounds like a good idea.

6. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Oneida, NY
    Being in the U.K. , I would pick up a Carlsbro 50 Top or 100top. There's three on eBay right now all under 600 pounds with room to spare. One is a reissue which IMO is better than the original. I have a reissue 50 Top and it gets played more than my Marshall. Great crunch when driven or boosted. Takes pedals better than any amp I own. I can't get a bad tone out of it. I'd consider myself lucky to have these available near me at such good prices but most won't post to the US. They are way underrated amps.

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

8. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Egnater Tweaker 15 can be had way under that budget and has tons of potential.
    The head is a great way to go due to the versatility of 1x12 2x12 4x10 1x10 speaker cab options.
    I am a Super Reverb guy all the way, however one amp i really miss is my Tweaker !

9. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    AL7 1NW
    I have seen heads but am cautious to go with one due to the fact traveling with a cab and head is difficult and the fact I would then have to buy a cabinet too.

10. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    AL7 1NW
    Sounds good and would have to try one. I'm in the UK anyway so yeah :)

11. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Oneida, NY
    The reissue 50 Top is as rare as hens teeth. But it seems the vintage ones are easier to find. They are basically the same amp but with out all the "modern" updates (fuses, bleeder resistors and such). It plays clean, or on the edge of break-up.. how this one has stayed under the radar so long is a mystery and recent discovery of mine this past year. They're as robust as a Marshall and all UK made.. none of that chinese out sourcing (unless you buy a modern 2011 and beyond carlsbro). But I guess there's so much available in the UK, perhaps it's easier to look past. This is a cell phone clip of mine in action (volume at 2-3 and eq mostly flat at 5ish), with tube screamer over top. and another fellas, who gigs in the UK.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    uglybluedog likes this.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    Vintage Champ... Just my opinion

13. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't think there is really a "best amp" unless you mean reliability and construction quality. There are lots of amps which all sound different, but I don't think you can say that a Vox ac15 is "better" than a Fender or a Blackstar or whatever - they just have different sounds.

Basically, I think the only way to get a sense of what you'll like - what is best for you - is to take a trip to a couple of good music stores and play a variety of amps through your own favorite guitar.

Welcome!

14. Pickcity

Pickcity TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    You have some good options within your price range, so try out as many as you can. Only you can know what you like best.

I picked up a Fender Super Champ X2 (15W) a few months back and the more I play through it the more I love the thing. It is extremely versatile, and once those tubes get warm it screams beautifully. The clean channel is outstanding, with a true Fender tube tone. Another big plus for me is it has two channels. I still haven't even scratched the surface of the capabilities of the amp. I believe it is one of the best, if not the best value out there right now for around $379 (what I paid) USD. I love it.

15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    new? how loud? band/playing situation? too many variables to recommend anything except the TDPRI standby of recommending what I've got.

in other words, get an AC15. or get lucky and find an Orange for cheap on craigslist.

Ex-riverman and mnutz like this.

16. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    AL7 1NW
    Yes for a band situation and thanks.

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    By travelling, do you mean by car/van or public transport?. Practice or gigs?.
    The Vox AC15 covers much ground. Indie jangle, but can grind the dangly bits off a buffalo when needed. Laney did their take with the VC range. The VC15-110 is their competitor to the AC15. Don't let the 10" speaker fool you. Both are more than loud enough and sturdy enough for pub'n'club gigs. Second hand, you may be lucky and find a VC15-210.
    Don't be put off by a head/cab. The 'Terror' range from orange, coupled with a halfway decent cab is no more difficult to cart around than a combo.
    Vox Nighttrain?

mnutz likes this.

18. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    DRRI or HRD if you need more bolume

brokenbones and mnutz like this.

19. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    I've loved my Hot Rod Deville 4x10 for the last 21 years...they make a 2x12 version as well. Nothing is perfect though...it's really friggin' heavy!
    As others have said, personal preference will come into play big time. Brands typically have their own sound more or less, fairly consistent throughout their lineup. Take the time to see which voicing sounds best for you...Fender, Vox, Orange, Marshall.

dr_tom and mnutz like this.

20. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Sure there's other options, but c'mon... a giggable amp, for indie rock with a band...

Just get the AC15, all the cool kids are doing it. You can't go wrong.

And it's a classic. No matter where your musical interests go in the future, you'll keep that AC15 forever.

Parts and repairs will never be an issue, get it serviced just about anywhere in the world. There will probably always be another one wherever you go. If you ever have a problem with yours you'll just be like, plug me into that AC15 over there, I know just how I want it dialed in!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Ex-riverman and scrapyardblue like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.