Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Tube Amp ever???

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by sparkletele123, Aug 6, 2013.

1. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2011
    Canada
    My favourite amp currently is an early 70s Princeton Reverb. It has a few mods so that it doesn't flub out as many do, and it has a Weber NeoMag 10" in it. Most importantly, it is very portable for an old guy like me.

After that would be my 1970 Super Reverb, converted to 2x10. I think the SR is probably the best Fender amp ever made.

But... If I had the dough, my boutique amp of choice would be a Bruno. I heard Brad Paisley play through one on a crappy youtube and I was stunned by how increcibly articulate it sounded. It wasn't just Paisley. I have had heard him play on lots of crappy youtube vids. The amp was something else. Too much dough for me, but what an amp.

2. mrbretward

mrbretward TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Georgia
    I think the best amp ever is one that's easy to carry, reliable, the right volume for the venue, and sounds good.
    For me that's a Princeton Reverb. One trip from the car and a few minutes I'm set up. Plus I get tons of compliments about tone from the folks listening.

But really it's all preference and what works for you.

3. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2009
    Wichita is nice.
    Here we go again! If any amp sounds "best" to you then it's the best amp ever made.
    I have always played Fender amps and I own several older ones and they are the best I have ever found. I have owned what I would describe as 3 different collections of Fender amps and nothing I have found beats Fender.
    No boutique amps for me.

4. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    The best tube amp ever is the one that amp guru is trying to sell you.

The worst tube amp ever is the amp you already have.

It is possible that the same amp can occupy both slots over time.

CBG :twisted:

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    The one you make and tweak yourself!

6. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2014
    NE USA
    It's been my experience that if a woman throws her underwear at you, she wants it washed.

7. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Yeah this is a pretty subjective one, a bit like saying what' the best car. All the same it's nice to fantasize so i'll try and list my top 5 if had the choice of anything i wanted. So in no particular order:

Supro Dual Tone or Saturn,
    Vox AC15
    Laney Lionheart 20
    JMI 4 (it's the original Vox AC4, PTP, Tremolo circuit, based pretty much exactly on the original circuit i think)
    Blackheart Artisan 15
    Fender EC Vibro Champ
    Victory V10 Baron
    Tone King Falcon
    Swart Space Tone Atomic Junior
    Fender Bassman
    Vox AC4HW

Ok, that's slightly more than 5 but i was in fantasy land so i figured i might as well fantasize as long as possible.

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Probably a bit cliché, at this point, but a well built Dumble ODS clone/variant. That circuit has some amazing qualities that a lot of tube amps, just dont have. They're also much more flexible than most people assume. 'Clean' side is very Blackface Fender-esque, with more mids and low end on tap, you can actually dial in Marshall/'59 bassman/tweed type tones. IMO the overdrive is really where the circuit shines, though. Of course tone is subjective, so not everyone will agree.
    IMO it's a player's amp. More for people who like very dynamic touch sensitive playing. All your nuances in your playing seem to jump out more, and it makes your playing skill much more apparent. Talented players will really seem to shine, while sloppier playing will go much more noticed. If your playing is having an 'off' day it really seems to show it. It's both a gift and a curse. The amp sort of forces you to control your playing a lot more precisely, than some other amps, IME.

Just my $.01

9. bertramladner

bertramladner TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Emeryville, CA
    I’v had mostly Twins
    1970 Twin JBL’s
    2013 Blonde Twin Reissue
    Dual Showman
    Now I have a Matchless Lightening R and Top Hat Ambassador 35
    For me Top Hat is tops. It hums which is bothersome, but it has tight punchy bass and amazing articulation. So for me once I start to play and can barely stop then that is my indicator.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.